Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR place allocation and filling out the CAO

Options
  • 18-07-2016 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Can anyone explain how places on the HEAR scheme are allocated?

I am interested in studying medicine and I was wondering if I put down as many courses as possible for medicine on my CAO form is there a greater chance of getting accepted through HEAR?

I will be applying for medicine so if I were to put the courses in the following order:
    TRINITY
    NUI GALWAY
    UCD
    RCSI
    UCC

Is it possible that I may not be given a place in trinity due to limited HEAR places available but I could be offered a place in UCC if there were places available?

I am sorry that I cannot explain myself more simply.

Basically I am asking would you recommend that I include as many courses for medicine (my first choice) as possible on my CAO form in the case that a position for HEAR students opens up in another college or does this make a difference?

Thanks for your help or any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Trinity College allocates about 7% of places to HEAR http://www.tcd.ie/Trinity_Access/prospective/higher.php so I would say complete your CAO as non-HEAR students would i.e in the order of your genuine course preference

There's good information on www.accesscollege.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11 red.velvet

Okay so I explained this in relation to DARE on another thread, and have recently heard some people say that it's possible that HEAR and DARE applicants ''''compete'''' for these special places together so the HEAR/DARE thing works for both in pretty much the same way *excuse me as I copy and paste for reasons:*

Say you want to do an arts course (med in your case), and it's 360, that's the result of the final person who got into the course that year (I know med is like 725 or something crazy like that - honestly whether this is true for the med courses, I truly haven't a clue), and for DARE/HEAR, they allow people who got less than, but the closest to that 360 into the course, eg. 355, 350, maybe 340. I think the amount of DARE/HEAR students that each course let in vary from each college, and your position in line depends on your LC results. On my DARE approval letter it says that whether I get the course on reduced pts or not depends on what I get in the LC. So if I get the points, then it's fine I don't need the course on reduced points, but if I don't get anything close to the course I need, and there are other DARE/HEAR applicants who had that course down as their 1st preference and did alot better than I did, there's a less likely chance that I'd get in, if that makes any sense?
    So if, say, Trinity is offering let's say 15 HEAR/DARE places, 15 people who qualify for HEAR and DARE, had Trinity med as their first choice, and got the most points closest to that 725, will be able to get into the course on reduced points. So points wise, I think you'd need around 650 + to be considered for a med place? (please note though I haven't a clue about med courses and hpats and all that so that's just my 2cents)

Is it worth putting medicine in as many boxes as possible? Of course, if that's what you truly want to do. You're bound to get one of them or at least a course similar enough to medicine if worst comes to worst! :)

And yes, there is of course the possibility of getting accepted to one of the other colleges, so if Trinity gets ruled out, your second choice would become your first, and if you don't get that, then UCD would be at the top, and so on so fourth. And yes again, people do leave/defer/change courses, so there is a possibility a higher-up course may become available to you, through HEAR or otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

red.velvet wrote: »
    Okay so I explained this in relation to DARE on another thread, and have recently heard some people say that it's possible that HEAR and DARE applicants ''''compete'''' for these special places together so the HEAR/DARE thing works for both in pretty much the same way *excuse me as I copy and paste for reasons:*

Say you want to do an arts course (med in your case), and it's 360, that's the result of the final person who got into the course that year (I know med is like 725 or something crazy like that - honestly whether this is true for the med courses, I truly haven't a clue), and for DARE/HEAR, they allow people who got less than, but the closest to that 360 into the course, eg. 355, 350, maybe 340. I think the amount of DARE/HEAR students that each course let in vary from each college, and your position in line depends on your LC results. On my DARE approval letter it says that whether I get the course on reduced pts or not depends on what I get in the LC. So if I get the points, then it's fine I don't need the course on reduced points, but if I don't get anything close to the course I need, and there are other DARE/HEAR applicants who had that course down as their 1st preference and did alot better than I did, there's a less likely chance that I'd get in, if that makes any sense?
    So if, say, Trinity is offering let's say 15 HEAR/DARE places, 15 people who qualify for HEAR and DARE, had Trinity med as their first choice, and got the most points closest to that 725, will be able to get into the course on reduced points. So points wise, I think you'd need around 650 + to be considered for a med place? (please note though I haven't a clue about med courses and hpats and all that so that's just my 2cents)

Is it worth putting medicine in as many boxes as possible? Of course, if that's what you truly want to do. You're bound to get one of them or at least a course similar enough to medicine if worst comes to worst! :)

And yes, there is of course the possibility of getting accepted to one of the other colleges, so if Trinity gets ruled out, your second choice would become your first, and if you don't get that, then UCD would be at the top, and so on so fourth. And yes again, people do leave/defer/change courses, so there is a possibility a higher-up course may become available to you, through HEAR or otherwise!

Thank you so much you have answered exactly what I wanted to know! :D

When they tell me for example (this isn't accurate) that 15 HEAR places are available in Trinity for example does this mean 15 places for HEAR applicants throughout all the courses in the college or just for medicine?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In 2015, 185 students accepted places in Trinity through HEAR.

That would have been across all courses. How they allocate them would be an internal Trinity matter I think.

Advertisement