Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Payment options for buying in the UK

Options
  • 18-07-2016 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I am going to England next week to purchase a car. Can someone tell me the best option for payment. I plan to fly over have a shortlist of 3 cars not risking a deposit. I want to drive away with the car the same day. Online bank transfers between ireland and england take 3 days. I dont want to risk carrying cash.
    How do people usually pay? I heard a people people talking about transfermate. Is it safe and reliable?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bank transfers can be quick enough, but cash is always king if you are looking for a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Spipov

on that note, sorry to jump in. can you pay say about 6k from a debit or credit card? do drafts need to be in a name, as you wouldnt know the exact dealer you are going to buy from in these cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Bank transfers can be quick enough, but cash is always king if you are looking for a great deal.
    If you're carrying more than 10k in cash, you need to declare it to customs too I think.
    https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Soarer

If you're carrying more than 10k in cash, you need to declare it to customs too I think.
    https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk

That says the exact opposite of what you said!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Money Laundering rules means they can't accept more than 10K cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Soarer

I think that's if you're paying in Euros though.

If you've already converted the Euros to Sterling, I don't think there's an issue. Especially if you've the bank statements to show the conversion, etc.

Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

theGIANT wrote: »
    I am going to England next week to purchase a car. Can someone tell me the best option for payment. I plan to fly over have a shortlist of 3 cars not risking a deposit. I want to drive away with the car the same day. Online bank transfers between ireland and england take 3 days. I dont want to risk carrying cash.
    How do people usually pay? I heard a people people talking about transfermate. Is it safe and reliable?

I used them for exactly that. It was about 6 years ago. Worked out perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Soarer wrote: »

I think that's if you're paying in Euros though.

If you've already converted the Euros to Sterling, I don't think there's an issue. Especially if you've the bank statements to show the conversion, etc.

Could be wrong though.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/money-laundering-regulations-high-value-dealer-registration
    Most dealers treat this as 10k. I know today it's not that number, but ring around any that's the limit they'll deal with.
    Revolut and bank transfer is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Soarer wrote: »
    That says the exact opposite of what you said!
    Misread sorry!

Advertisement