Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failure to turn left when entering a roundabout

Options
  • 18-07-2016 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

This is a motor offence that results in a penalty point..
    "Failure to turn left when entering a roundabout"

What does it mean?
    Glance to the left? Signal left if turning left?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

Ah, so it means failing to go around a roundabout. Seems fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

bonyn wrote: »
    Ah, so it means failing to go around a roundabout. Seems fair.

Failing to go around in the correct direction to be more precise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I always found this question interesting on the theory test. "Which way should you turn when entering a roundabout?" Well, depends where you want to go. I know they mean that you should go round the right way around the roundabout but it's very badly worded because you enter the roundabout using the left hand side half of the road and then turn right if you're going past the left exit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Might be one of those roundabouts that are just a small white circle at a junction? easy to drive over them and often too small to actually drive around them?

• Advertisement

Skatedude wrote: »
    Might be one of those roundabouts that are just a small white circle at a junction? easy to drive over them and often too small to actually drive around them?

I've been driving over one of them in town frequently... quiet road and it's a fairly big circle. Seems like a lot of hassle going round it but I'll try to avoid the eur60 fine and penalty point now that i know about it. Sorta hoped the painted roundabouts weren't mandatory

I've been driving over one of them in town frequently... quiet road and it's a fairly big circle. Seems like a lot of hassle going round it but I'll try to avoid the eur60 fine and penalty point now that i know about it. Sorta hoped the painted roundabouts weren't mandatory

The reason for those painted roundabouts is to allow you to drive over them. They are placed at junctions where a physical roundabout is not practical. Any RTA at that junction would be treated "In Law" as an accident at a roundabout.
    At least...that's my understanding of them.

^^^^ Thats Mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

you're supposed to drive around those painted ones.
    you can only drive on them if you can't fit around them , eg a lorry

• Registered Users Posts: 39,031 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

shietpilot wrote: »
    ..but it's very badly worded because you enter the roundabout using the left hand side half of the road and then turn right if you're going past the left exit :pac:
    The very first turn you make upon entering a round about is a left.
    Left to enter
    Right to stay on/go around.
    Left to exit.

Same for all exits, although if taking the first exit you can often enter and exit within the same left turn manoeuvre.
    The offences above is when you don't turn left to enter, and just go over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

OSI wrote: »
    They actually made it illegal to drive over those painted on roundabouts not long ago. Was a lot of comments about how stupid it was at the time but it naturally fell on deaf ears.

Waitaminute!! There was a time when mini-roundabouts were just a road decoration? Did I miss something here?

I suppose it could explain how I nearly got hit by a fellow in a van when I tried to take a right turn at a painted on mini-roundabout. I had to swing slightly left to go around the roundabout to the right exit. The van guy decided to go the other way around the roundabout to try to overtake me. Cue much squealing brakes and cursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭corglass

Anyone ever drive the wrong way around a roundabout? No judgement, just curious if it accidentally happened anyone?

corglass wrote: »
    Anyone ever drive the wrong way around a roundabout? No judgement, just curious if it accidentally happened anyone?

Yep...I was driving in France..Luckily there were no other cars around...which probably contributed to my confusion. (if there was a car in front of me, i probably would have followed it)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Stephenc66

So what might be the position in this case?

Painted roundabout in Ballina/Killaloe in front of McKeogh’s super market for those that might know it, it was once a T junction so three roads.

Traffic turning right for want of an easy description will often pass the “wrong way” (turning inside the painted circle) around the roundabout to enforce their right of way. The road is very wide at that point they could quite easily drive around the painted circle correctly. If they traveled around the round about cars entering it from the opposite direction and turning left would often have ample time to complete their turn. But some drivers find it necessary to cut them off in the manner above.

In the event of an accident who would be at fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

There is a big gripe of mine with a few roundabouts but have seen it a lot of times on the Wexford ring road.
    It's where people fly up the right hand side of traffic queue either turning left or going straight through a roundabout and indicate right at the roundabout and then drive all the way around the roundabout and take what should have been their original first exit. Its really bad form and manners. Could it have been that?

It's where people fly up the right hand side of traffic queue either turning left or going straight through a roundabout and indicate right at the roundabout and then drive all the way around the roundabout and take what should have been their original first exit.

I personally do this the whole time at a roundabout on a particular bypass. The people in the left lane would break your heart as if waiting for an invitation to move. Often you can get round the whole roundabout and the same doddery fecker causing the tailback will still be waiting for that invitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I personally do this the whole time at a roundabout on a particular bypass. The people in the left lane would break your heart as if waiting for an invitation to move. Often you can get round the whole roundabout and the same doddery fecker causing the tailback will still be waiting for that invitation.
    You are obviously more important and are obviously a better driver than them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stephenc66 wrote: »
    So what might be the position in this case?

Painted roundabout in Ballina/Killaloe in front of McKeogh’s super market for those that might know it, it was once a T junction so three roads.

Traffic turning right for want of an easy description will often pass the “wrong way” (turning inside the painted circle) around the roundabout to enforce their right of way. The road is very wide at that point they could quite easily drive around the painted circle correctly. If they traveled around the round about cars entering it from the opposite direction and turning left would often have ample time to complete their turn. But some drivers find it necessary to cut them off in the manner above.

In the event of an accident who would be at fault?

Both, the person using the roundabout the wrong way round and the person not giving way to the person already on the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Stephenc66

Del2005 wrote: »
    Both, the person using the roundabout the wrong way round and the person not giving way to the person already on the roundabout.

But one car has entered the roundabout correctly the other car is in effect driving on the wrong side of the road surly the car on the wrong side of the road is at fault?

I should perhaps have explained that given the nature of the roundabout the car turning left is usually on the roundabout and the car approaching from the right has to leave the roundabout a couple of meters on his left in order to cut the other car off. It's not like they drive over the painted roundabout or have a wheel on it. They completely ignore it

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8091112,-8.4371311,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfS8JUUv7lb8cfZ1-nJrrOw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

If a person were to drive the wrong way around say the Walkinstown roundabout and collide with a car using it legitimately who would be at fault?

You are obviously more important and are obviously a better driver than them too.

Not a better driver, just a more savvy one.
    Nothing more satisfying than cutting in front of a bunch of peons as I go about my important business.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

corglass wrote: »
    Does driving straight through one (over the grass in the middle) count? If so yes but I blame it on my mother's poor driving instructions insisting that I drove straight through the roundabout even when challenged on it. She refused to take me driving as a learner after that :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

There's one of those fried egg roundabouts in St. James's Hospital coming out from the underground car park. There's a corner of a building and a kerb just across from it. There is no way you can drive around it unless you're driving a microcar. If you attempted to do it you would have to drive partially round it and then reverse. There's no option but to drive over it. Most ridiculously placed roundabout ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Nothing more satisfying than cutting in front of a bunch of peons.

Where are you from Sir?

Jesus. wrote: »
    Where are you from Sir?

The Pale ;)

Del2005 wrote: »
    You give way to the right on a roundabout. The person going the wrong way hasn't got right of way over anyone. By an large most people on the road haven't a clue how to use a roundabout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Not a better driver, just a more savvy one.
    Nothing more satisfying than cutting in front of a bunch of peons as I go about my important business.

May we never meet. I wait for those fcukers and I make it my business to be ahead of them when they try to fly past me. I've been beeped, flashed, had handsignals directed at me and one guy took out his phone to take my picture. I'll make that exit first and if you want a nice fat claim on your hands, I dare you to see how far I'll take this game of chicken.
    You think you can sh*t on other drivers, but one day you'll meet the wrong guy. Not even me, but always be aware, you think you may be the biggest nutter out there, but there's a lot of crazy people out there with short fuses and bad tempers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There is a big gripe of mine with a few roundabouts but have seen it a lot of times on the Wexford ring road.
    It's where people fly up the right hand side of traffic queue either turning left or going straight through a roundabout and indicate right at the roundabout and then drive all the way around the roundabout and take what should have been their original first exit. Its really bad form and manners. Could it have been that?

I must say, I do that sometimes. The person at the front of the queue is usually still there when I've done my full rotation.
    Nothing illegal in doing so, just annoying for those that are still queuing.

May we never meet. I wait for those fcukers and I make it my business to be ahead of them when they try to fly past me. I've been beeped, flashed, had handsignals directed at me and one guy took out his phone to take my picture. I'll make that exit first and if you want a nice fat claim on your hands, I dare you to see how far I'll take this game of chicken.
    You think you can sh*t on other drivers, but one day you'll meet the wrong guy. Not even me, but always be aware, you think you may be the biggest nutter out there, but there's a lot of crazy people out there with short fuses and bad tempers.

I'll be long gone. By the time you notice i didnt take the 3rd exit you'll be 8 cars back, banging your fists off the steering wheel and I'll be cruising along, windows down, stereo blasting and giving you the finger outta the muthaflippin' window.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about cutting up the right lane then cutting across traffic on the roundabout to make the 2nd exit.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I'm not talking about cutting up the right lane then cutting across traffic on the roundabout to make the 2nd exit.
    I assume you were talking about, a driver approaching a 3 lane* roundabout in the right hand lane, but instead of taking the third exit, they do a full lap and exit at the would-be first exit. For the purposes of skipping a queue.

What rules do you think that is breaking?

*2 lane applies too, just easier to be describe it on a 3-lane.
    So you purposefully pull out in front of other card, regardless of how safe it is, because you don't care if they hit you.
    I find if baffling that you they they're the asshole in that scenerio.

Advertisement