Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boozing

Options
  • 18-07-2016 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Heading to Berlin with one of the lads in a few weeks and have done a bit of research. So at the ripe old age of 36, I've decided to get my first tattoo while away. Studio is booked and deposit paid, seems like a fairly reputable place and the design is finalized.

Only trouble is, this is a boozy weekend we have planned. I've known the whole no alcohol beforehand due to the thinning of the blood and making it harder for the artist etc... So there will be no booze in me before.

I'm just wondering what are the potential pitfalls of goin out and getting absolutely wrecked afterwards. All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You're 36. Your days of going out and getting wrecked are over!

What'll it be next? A tattoo?!?

Serious answer: haven't a scooby. Enjoy the trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Well you should basically treat the area as an open wound afterwards. So no scratching/rubbing/picking after, even if it's sore and itchy. Which it probably will be! Harder to resist these things when drunk.

I'd advise you to go and enjoy the drumky weekend, get the tattoo when you come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Don't be whipping it out every second to show everyone, which will be hard to do when drunk. Clean it and recover with cling film until you get back to the hotel and clean it again. Just follow your aftercare, the artist will go through it with you. It's common sense stuff really. Don't let your friends near it, some people think it's great craic to mess with new tattoos (slapping it, touching it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Well you should basically treat the area as an open wound afterwards. So no scratching/rubbing/picking after, even if it's sore and itchy. Which it probably will be! Harder to resist these things when drunk.

I'd advise you to go and enjoy the drumky weekend, get the tattoo when you come home.

Was gonna get it done here but Ross Nagle's secretary basically told me I could get the tattoo done in the time and budget I had in mind but it wouldn't be very good as there'd be no detail in it and that I'd have to add an hour and double my budget to do it. This coming from one of the most respected artists in the country told me to bide my time, so when the opportunity to get it done abroad, I started researching.

There doesn't seem to be any detriment to the tattoo in having a (good) few drinks after besides the common sense aftercare, so I should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Alcohol will thin the blood, which means any irritation to the tattoo may cause it to bleed more than it would normally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Where are you getting the tattoo? I think this is important. For example if your getting it on your chest I'd be more worried about drinking and thinning the blood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Why would you interrupt a weekend away on the booze with a long and painful procedure that leaves you with an open wound?

Could you not just get it done at a more convenient time in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I had two pints the night before I got mine done... I didn't consider that drinking, but my tattoo artist gave me **** over it... it thins the blood and can make you bleed, therefore making it more difficult to heal etc...

Mine did bleed a little, but it also healed okay, because I'm a feckin' hero!!! But it did make her job more difficult.

Advertisement