Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

04 Focus to what? Big small car circa 15K?

Options
  • 17-07-2016 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

I love my focus but the end is near, it needs about 1K put into it (bushes and steering column) and that's more than a quarter of what it's worth. Add in annual NCT, car tax and insurance loadings for age and the writing is on the wall.

I'm not very demanding but would like :
    Engine 1.2 minimum
    Petrol tank of at least 50l
    Height adjustable drivers seat
    A/c if possible
    Decent boot (ideally hatch back)

I do about 10K miles a year, a mixture of about 100 miles city driving a week and trips to Galway/Limerick /Cork (from Dublin). No kids.

I'd love a new focus but money won't stretch that far, either want to buy new and avail of scrappage deals (which ironically rules out ford as they only take cars younger than ten years old) or something a max of two years old.

I'm going crazy looking at car sites, thinking the Hyundai i20/30 might be a runner but I'm not entirely sold on it. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say you will struggle to get into anything brand new similar in size to your Focus for 15k even with a very generous scrappage allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I did a huge amount of research looking for something similar to yourself. Although not new, in case you broaden your scope - the Toyota Auris (older version) came on top for me. It has a timing chain so no belt worries & a good reputation for reliability + a great cabin and good interior space. 55L fuel tank. It has AC & height adjust in the luna model. There's a 1.4 petrol version which i went for (97bhp).

This shape:

http://auto-database.com/image/toyota-auris-ii-2012-images-62259.jpg

Only gripe is no 6th gear in my 07 one, so 75mph = approx 3750rpm. I think that model went up to 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

athtrasna wrote: »
    I love my focus but the end is near, it needs about 1K put into it (bushes and steering column) and that's more than a quarter of what it's worth.

A Quarter? A 2004 focus ain't worth 4k, been looking at their value recently, and tbh, they seem to be achieving 1500 at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I know I'm going to have to come down in size but trying not to go down too much.

Had a Dacia Sandero as a courtesy car recently and it was a tiny tin box with a petrol tank that couldn't do Dublin-Limerick-Cork-Dublin which was irritating.

On value, checked when I was renewing insurance and 3.5 to 3.8k was what they seemed to be on the market for. If it's worth less then it really only emphasises that it is time for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

athtrasna wrote: »
    I know I'm going to have to come down in size but trying not to go down too much.

To sum up - you're prepared to ditch the car you love for something worse and spend more than €10 in the process?! Sounds like a sound plan...

You can have other reasons for change - but changing a car just because it needs some work (or because newer one will have lower tax) - less than optimal I would say.

• Advertisement

I do actually want to change my car. I will miss the focus but know it's time to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Speculate €55 and get an actual fail list from NCT and THEN price this work, ford parts are dirt cheap.

Bigus wrote: »
    Speculate €55 and get an actual fail list from NCT and THEN price this work, ford parts are dirt cheap.

I know how much the work will cost. I want to change my car!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

<not really helpful>

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭BdaraB

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/toyota/auris/used-2013-131-toyota-auris-1-8-hybrid-dublin-fpa-200714623004598250

You would just about yet the new model Auris hybrid for that budget, much better looking than the older model.

• Advertisement
Advertisement