Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rust on new brake discs

Options
  • 17-07-2016 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi I have a 07 Kia ceed, just had the rear brake discs replaced and now I notice that they are rusting. The part of the disc that is rusting is not the part of the disc that comes in contact with the pads but the part that is connected to the wheel. The prior discs to this were the original ones and this was not an issue. Why are the new ones rusting? Is it because it is a cheaper part than than the original ones... And is there a solution to this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's fairly normal. I have this myself on my discs I DIY'd only 2 months ago.

You can remove rust and apply rust stopper or similar to prevent it from forming.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It happens alright.
    probably cheaper discs.
    Only a visual annoyance, nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It happens alright.
    probably cheaper discs.
    Only a visual annoyance, nothing to worry about.

Rust on break discs dosent mean cheaper it means more iron content

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Tigger wrote: »
    Rust on break discs dosent mean cheaper it means more iron content

I think by cheaper Colm means they don't get finished as well as the more expensive discs.
    I bought TRW rear discs a few months ago and they have a black finish on the unswept portions of the disc, this stops the rusting that occurs on untreated cast iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Happens a lot in high humidity, especially if its parked up for a couple of days. Nothing to do with cheap disks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Very common. It's a known bugbear with loads of cars, I know personally that VW's get it and I see it in BMW's too all the time. The design of the alloys on the car is a big factor - if there's open spokes and you can easily see the hub then obviously it's more of an issue. The dealers will tell you it's a consumable part.

Advertisement