Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa for India

Options
  • 17-07-2016 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Planning on traveling to New Delhi in October and was just wondering if anyone had any tips on Visa process - I have looked on there Embassy web site and it looks complicated and very badly written.

I would be grateful for any tips and also if any one has been to Delhi.

Thanks a million in advance!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

There is an eVisa process. It is not too bad, it does ask loads of questions, e.g. About your religion, you parents, all sorts of things, plus you have to upload a photo.
    But overall it is fairly early.

Link is,

https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Hi All,

Planning on traveling to New Delhi in October and was just wondering if anyone had any tips on Visa process - I have looked on there Embassy web site and it looks complicated and very badly written.

Last time my other half had to do it, she filled out the form on the website, printed the PDF file it generates and then brought the print outs and her passport to the Indian Embassy on Leeson Park about 4 minutes walk form the Renlagh Luas stop.

She went in on a Tuesday and had the papers a week later, it's a multiple entry VISA as well so you can leave India and re-enter, which is cool if you're in the south because flights to Colombo are super cheap from Bangalore, Chennai or Trichy and worth the effort.

It's a very straight forward process, in the office they just take your papers, give you a receipt and you're on your way and then you just collect it the following week.

Edit:

The new ETV process looks even handier...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Thanks a million just one question can you do it all on line or do you need to attend the embassy ?

Thanks a million just one question can you do it all on line or do you need to attend the embassy ?

It's confusing, from reading the Irish office's webpage it seems you need to collect it in the office in person or have a third party with a signed letter collect it.

Give the office in Dublin a ring tomorrow and ask for clarification, the staff are all lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Hi All,

They love their red tape there!

1998 was the last time I was there. The Red Fort and some of the monuments are worth seeing. The general vibe is interestng but really you'd be better to get to see Agra, Rajasthan, Varanasi etc which have more unique characters.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for all your help - Ill give the office a ring in the morning.

They love their red tape there!

1998 was the last time I was there. The Red Fort and some of the monuments are worth seeing. The general vibe is interestng but really you'd be better to get to see Agra, Rajasthan, Varanasi etc which have more unique characters.

Looking at heading to Delhi for a week do you think its worth it (Its all the time I have) and is it safe ??

Looking at heading to Delhi for a week do you think its worth it (Its all the time I have) and is it safe ??

A week is too long in New Delhi, in my opinion. In such a large country with so much to see it would be a crime to not move around.

If you can stretch it to 10 days of 2 weeks, do. Get a train somewhere even if it's just somewhere near by like Jaipur, explore the north a bit, but if you have the time make your way to the west coast, which is the real gem of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

In touristed areas you'll attract beggars and scam artists like mad but generally a polite "no thanks" and keeping walking does the trick. There have been the horror stories of course, but most tourists are okay. Take usual precautions etc

A week will give you a good flavour of a huge country. You can take the train and do Agra in a day (not worth staying overnight) and maybe do a one or two night trip to Jaipur (see the fort, the Raj Mandir cinema). You should enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

EVisa is all online. No need for embassy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

towger wrote: »
    EVisa is all online. No need for embassy.

Yep. Got the Visa online last year when travelling to Mumbai.

Thanks for all your help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jonathan222

Hi all,

Hoping I can get some help here.

In the past I travelled to India for business, so filled out the application form, sent in my pictures and passport, registered post with the fee, and waited for my passport to come back with the visa attached to an empty page.

I noticed the E-visa and thought I'd apply that way. I'm only going once this year for max two weeks.

Got it (electronic travel authorization - ETA) approved ("e-business visa") but I'm just wondering do I still need to get a visa physically attached to my passport or just print and bring this ETA with me (along with passport and return ticket) and Indian immigration stamp my passport and away I go?

Any help would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Just print out and present at immigration.

Thanks for that. Trying to get onto the Indian embassy in Ireland or the visa number in India is nearly impossible.
    Was convinced I needed both the printout and to have a visa in my passport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I recently helped a friend do this and there is no physical visa in your passport, the online application is pretty convoluted and in the finish you just print off your printout. It is also the cheapest way to do it costing under €50 but priced in Dollars I remember. Expect to get your passport and tickets checked like 10 times in an Indian airport as the whole place is a bureaucratic nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Depending on the airport there may be an evisa desk before Immigration.
    We said it was better to send passport to embassy to get a stamp.
    Less bureaucracy at the far end and simple immigration process at booth.

Depending on the airport there may be an evisa desk before Immigration.
    We said it was better to send passport to embassy to get a stamp.
    Less bureaucracy at the far end and simple immigration process at booth.

Thanks for that. Will go with e visa this time and see how it goes. If it's too long, will revert to sending passport to embassy next time .

My friend had to queue for two hours to get his E-Visa checked wheras his friends who got their (more expensive) physical visas through an agency were through in minutes but had to wait outside in the terminal for him.

Doltanian wrote: »
    My friend had to queue for two hours to get his E-Visa checked wheras his friends who got their (more expensive) physical visas through an agency were through in minutes but had to wait outside in the terminal for him.

Any reason given for the 2 hour delay? Was it just a bigger queue or something?

• Advertisement

I didn't ask, presumably due to the e-Visa being the predominant form of visa. A country like India you'd think would abolish such buracracy for tourism as it has such potential and its not likely to get abused as its an economic basketcase.

there were 3 of us going and the questions people were being asked slowed the whole thing down....not to mention indian inefficiency.
    took us an hour for the 3 people in front of us to be dealt with.

we watched foreigners with passports stamped going through in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

Sorry for the dumb question / zombie threading, but using the indian eTV / e tourist visa can you as an Irish person take domestic flights in India using this visa? Example, Bangalore to Goa and return to Bangalore for a few weeks before returning to Ireland? Is there a limit on doing this during the 60 days of the visa, for example could you do 4 or 5 weekend trips while there via domestic flights?

kokiyou wrote: »
    Sorry for the dumb question / zombie threading, but using the indian eTV / e tourist visa can you as an Irish person take domestic flights in India using this visa? Example, Bangalore to Goa and return to Bangalore for a few weeks before returning to Ireland? Is there a limit on doing this during the 60 days of the visa, for example could you do 4 or 5 weekend trips while there via domestic flights?
    There's no issue with internal flights.but send your passport to the embassy for a proper visa stamp. Makes it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Resurecting an old thread. What is the cost for a tourist visa for an Irish passport holder.

Indian Embassy Visa information is very confusing. Website says visa is €87 which is a lot of money. You have to sent off your passport to have it stamped. No mention of cheaper e-visa.

A seperate official site for e-visa notes a fee for 30 day e-visa is $10/$25 depending on time of year applied for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

No way is it $10/$25. That sounds like a scam site. I've gotten a lot of Indian visas over the years, the time of the year has never mattered.

The eVisa website is here: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html

The fees are here: https://www.indianembassydublin.gov.in/page/visa-fee/

Visa fees are based on how much it costs Indians to come here. So it's more expensive for UK/USA people.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭user302243

eVisa are $10 and $25 depending on the time of the year for 30 day

The fees listed on the embassy site are for Visa not eVisa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I concur with the $10/$25 fee being legit and not a scaml site.

Its weird that the e-visa page lists no fees and the indan embassy page only lists fees for paper visa.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Apologies, must have come down in price a lot since I last got an eVisa. I usually get the 5 year one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭user302243

It's hard to find but it is listed until the FAQ

https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/images/Etourist_fee_final.pdf

Advertisement