Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trolley jack

Options
  • 17-07-2016 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭

hi all,can you recommend me a good trolley jack? its just for home use,wont be used every day,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

sniperman wrote: »
    hi all,can you recommend me a good trolley jack? its just for home use,wont be used every day,thanks

Your local motor factor will always have a selection in stock of decent quality.
    Where in Tipp?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Halfords usualy have a few and always seem to be running some sort of special price on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭sniperman

dieselbug wrote: »
    Your local motor factor will always have a selection in stock of decent quality.
    Where in Tipp?

nenagh lad,done a bit of re search on some costing around the €50 mark,not great reviews,seems the seals go in as very short time:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lidl/Aldi have them on special from time to time for about €20/€25

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Have my lidl one past year,no problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Something in a similar vein to this Draper trolley jack.
    193e728bc8290ee568edf248cd0ea004.jpg

180 quid, three tonne jack with a safely wide footprint for at least the next ten years+ in a home garage setting with minor care.
    Probably similar ones for a bit cheaper, but as long as they're wide and heavy.. You want wide and heavy. Those small Lidl/Aldi jacks are good, no trouble, but wicked narrow for my trusting, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭sniperman

Something in a similar vein to this Draper trolley jack.
    193e728bc8290ee568edf248cd0ea004.jpg

180 quid, three tonne jack with a safely wide footprint for at least the next ten years+ in a home garage setting with minor care.
    Probably similar ones for a bit cheaper, but as long as they're wide and heavy.. You want wide and heavy. Those small Lidl/Aldi jacks are good, no trouble, but wicked narrow for my trusting, personally.

thanks for that,i only want to spend about €50 or so just for the odd times i decide to take off the wheels for a clean,of course id have to put a few concrete blocks to take the weight,as id never trust any jack 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Should get jack and axle stands not blocks.

See here for an idea

http://www.micksgarage.com/search/car%20jacks,%20ramps%20and%20axle%20stands

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

sniperman wrote: »
    thanks for that,i only want to spend about €50 or so just for the odd times i decide to take off the wheels for a clean,of course id have to put a few concrete blocks to take the weight,as id never trust any jack 100%

€50 should get you a decent enough jack alright, but I would spare the concrete blocks anyway...
    If concrete blocks crack, there's no warning beforehand. Just the crack...
    Wooden blocks on the other hand spend a minute splintering loudly before going, on the off chance they even go.

Wood is also nicer to yer car, and easier on the back. Get big wood blocks at a mill.
    Or stands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

• Advertisement
Advertisement