Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco laptop

Options
  • 17-07-2016 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Saw laptops in Tesco. HP 4 GB RAM. 1 GB hard drive but only pentium dual core processor. 399 as far as i remember. Very low specs on the processor isn't it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Better can be bought online for similar cost.

HP G4 laptop with i5/4gb ram/128gb ssd for same cost online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

It says windows 10 home. is home always 32bit?There is also a lenovo one with either i3 or i5 can't remember

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

It says windows 10 home. is home always 32bit?There is also a lenovo one with either i3 or i5 can't remember

Home would be 64bit on a laptop like this.

The Lenovo is an i3 I believe. Still not amazing value tbh. Find better online.

Home would be 64bit on a laptop like this.

The Lenovo is an i3 I believe. Still not amazing value tbh. Find better online.
    you could add RAM then?
    The first one you said is an 128GB ssd though. The tesco HP has a 1 GB disk
    Find better online
    person i am asking for prefers bricks and mortar shop.Thanks.

you could add RAM then?
    The first one you said is an 128GB ssd though. The tesco HP has a 1 GB disk
    person i am asking for prefers bricks and mortar shop.Thanks.

I saw it in tesco. The lenovo I think had 500gb HDD, 4GB ram, i3 5th generation. The laptop also comes with a laptop case and a mouse. This laptop should be more than enough for the average user.

Now to answer some questions, can you get better online? for sure you could but if you want to buy in bricks and mortar store this is great value especially because tesco is so good to deal with if anything goes wrong, I had a broken tv and they just replaced it instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Be careful, many many laptops nowadays use soldered RAM, no upgrades for them.

I saw it in tesco. The lenovo I think had 500gb HDD, 4GB ram, i3 5th generation. The laptop also comes with a laptop case and a mouse. This laptop should be more than enough for the average user.

Now to answer some questions, can you get better online? for sure you could but if you want to buy in bricks and mortar store this is great value especially because tesco is so good to deal with if anything goes wrong, I had a broken tv and they just replaced it instantly.
    thats it

thats it

Its a good laptop for the price. You will get people saying you could do better online but for a bricks and mortar store you will struggle to do better. Tesco have brilliant returns policey and most everyday users will not need a more powerful laptop than this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ED E wrote: »
    Be careful, many many laptops nowadays use soldered RAM, no upgrades for them.
    :mad:
    The other thing they started a few years ago was only having a single socket on the motherboard. :eek:

All the apps will tell you there's two sockets, but in reality it's just solder pads. So you can't upgrade your memory, the best you can do is replace it.

Good thing I'm the sort of person who looks before buying memory.

If I wanted something that was optimised for battery life rather than performance and wasn't upgradable then I'd just buy a tablet. :mad:

:mad:
    The other thing they started a few years ago was only having a single socket on the motherboard. :eek:

All the apps will tell you there's two sockets, but in reality it's just solder pads. So you can't upgrade your memory, the best you can do is replace it.

Good thing I'm the sort of person who looks before buying memory.

If I wanted something that was optimised for battery life rather than performance and wasn't upgradable then I'd just buy a tablet. :mad:

Is this only on cheaper laptops that ram is soldered and on Ultrabooks? Cause I have had a good few laptops the last few years and all of them had replaceable ram. Just took my current one apart to put in a new ssd and the ram is replaceable and has two slots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is this only on cheaper laptops that ram is soldered and on Ultrabooks? Cause I have had a good few laptops the last few years and all of them had replaceable ram. Just took my current one apart to put in a new ssd and the ram is replaceable and has two slots.
    yes I'd expect it with a netbook but I've seen it on at least two 15" ones

Advertisement