Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to sit honours maths

Options
  • 17-07-2016 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hello all,

I've been thinking about something recently which I would like some opinions on.

I sat a very good Leaving Cert but didn't do any sciences and only did pass maths. Looking back, I think I just had a stubborn approach to maths and had decided I was bad at it and wasn't going to put any effort into it from an early age.

Now that I'm more mature, I realise this was a terrible attitude to have. I currently work in a job where academic qualifications don't matter but one that I can only do for a short time while I'm young. At that point, I'll have to get looking for another career. I'm currently completing a third level degree in a field I have no intention of working in.

What do you think about the idea of going back to do honours maths as a mature student, in an effort to give myself more options if I decided to go back and do another degree in college at some point? The idea would be that it would give me the option of doing courses in engineering or certain aspects of finance that I otherwise wouldn't be able to do.

Is this a reasonable idea or is it mad?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No reason at all for you not to go back and resit HL Maths.

It would be much easier though with a teacher, so have a look at night classes specifically for HL Maths.

If you are in Dublin, classes commence in Plunket College 19th September for next years exam. 3 hours per week. €360 for the year.

Monday 7.00pm-8.30pm
    Tuesday 7.00pm-8.30pm

Enrolment on 5th and 6th September 7pm-9pm.

Limerick have this (.pdf) I know the closing date is passed, but it might be worth contacting them anyway.

Not sure of other cities, but check with your ETB's night classes brochure.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

That's a very reasonable idea and not mad at all. Lots of people go back and do one subject in the Leaving Cert for various reasons - the most popular being HL Irish for primary teaching.

If you can't manage to get to classes, you can always do HL Maths as an external student. The application form will be on www.examinations.ie around the Christmas. It will cost a little over €100. The form lists a few dedicated exam centres in Dublin for external students, and you just pick one.

You could work through the LC HL maths textbook yourself and if you are finding it hard on your own, you could get some grinds.

Just be careful when looking at past exam papers on www.examinations.ie as the maths syllabus has been updated to Project Maths over the past few years.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

Thanks for the help guys, it's much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

wigsa100 wrote: »
    I'll have to get looking for another career. I'm currently completing a third level degree in a field I have no intention of working in.

Is this a reasonable idea or is it mad?

Yup as mad as completing a degree you've no intention working in

Advertisement