Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MVC .net Training Videos - Venkat YouTube

Options
  • 16-07-2016 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I am studying .net development and have just finished a C# course. Next I want to move on to MVC .net. I have a subscription to Pluralsight and have started some of the MVC courses on it but an not too happy with them.

I found this set of videos on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pzwRwYlXMw&list=PL6n9fhu94yhVm6S8I2xd6nYz2ZORd7X2v

I have watched a few of them and the guy is very good at explaining the content. One issue with them is he is using MVC 4. Has anyone used these before or does anyone think what he is covering is worth spending a few weeks on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

There's been a pretty major shift in the ASP.NET ecosystem over the last few months. With the introduction of .NET Core, MVC 6+ applications will be much more self contained and won't be as reliant on Microsoft platforms such as Windows and IIS for deployment. Along with other changes in MVC 6 over earlier MVC versions this means that the future of MVC looks quite a bit different to it's past.

How all this ties into your question. If you're interested in learning MVC in terms of finding work then MVC 4 is just fine since most applications out there will be MVC 5 and below and this will probably still be the case for the next two years or so. But if you're interested in learning MVC just for the sake of it, or want to build something yourself. It might be a good idea to focus on the newest version since that is the future of the platform.

As to the tutorials themselves, they look relatively well put together. What he covers is still applicable (in the most part) to future versions of MVC since the core concepts of the framework won't be changing anytime soon. I'd just note that he is using VS 2010 and if you do follow these tutorials so it might be a good idea to use it aswell since video tutorials rely mostly on having the same UI as the dude doing the video. And MS rely more on IDE/Wizard functionality more so than virtually every other dev environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Aswerty wrote: »
    There's been a pretty major shift in the ASP.NET ecosystem over the last few months. With the introduction of .NET Core, MVC 6+ applications will be much more self contained and won't be as reliant on Microsoft platforms such as Windows and IIS for deployment. Along with other changes in MVC 6 over earlier MVC versions this means that the future of MVC looks quite a bit different to it's past.

How all this ties into your question. If you're interested in learning MVC in terms of finding work then MVC 4 is just fine since most applications out there will be MVC 5 and below and this will probably still be the case for the next two years or so. But if you're interested in learning MVC just for the sake of it, or want to build something yourself. It might be a good idea to focus on the newest version since that is the future of the platform.

As to the tutorials themselves, they look relatively well put together. What he covers is still applicable (in the most part) to future versions of MVC since the core concepts of the framework won't be changing anytime soon. I'd just note that he is using VS 2010 and if you do follow these tutorials so it might be a good idea to use it aswell since video tutorials rely mostly on having the same UI as the dude doing the video. And MS rely more on IDE/Wizard functionality more so than virtually every other dev environment.

Good advice. What are your reasons for wanting to learn .Net and MVC? Still plenty of work with the older versions, but they are starting to look a little dated now IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭boogerballs

Thanks guys for the response. I currently work in IT and am retraining to try and change over to a dev/programming role. I've always enjoyed that part of IT but after college I moved into a infrastructure role and it just went from there.

Advertisement