Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail - booked online unable to print ticket at kiosk

Options
  • 16-07-2016 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

My sister booked a ticket online today. Later she went to the station but was unable to print ticket at kiosk. Booking is for tomorrow, surely she should be able to print the ticket today? Or can it only be printed on same day as outward journey?

She put in the reservation code at the kiosk and it said "invalid number" - tried different kiosk and same thing happened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Sounds like she's not entering the right number. Does she have the confirmation email?

It will have the subject "Irish Rail Seat Reservation Booking Information" and start

Dear Leck's Sister

Thank you for your booking, please check the details below.

Tickets must be collected before boarding from either a ticket machine or booking office at any Iarnród Éireann station. If neither is available, please board the train with this email and collect your ticket at your destination (excludes stations in Northern Ireland). Go to our Ticket Collection page for more information.

Then there'll be a big green box with "Booking number" number written in it, and the booking number will be an 11 digit number in bold under that.

If she doesn't have that mail, then check her account to see did the money come out and that the transaction finished properly. If the money came out, and she has that email, she can take it to the ticket office tomorrow.

To help cover her ass, tell her to forward the reservation mail to the address below now (before she goes near the train) and explain the problem to them. They may not see it until Monday, but at least if there's a question about it she can show she tried to contact them. But definitely go to the ticket office.

Phone:1850 366 222 or +353 1 8366 222
    Email: reservations@irishrail.ie
    Hours: 08:30 – 18:00 Mon – Fri (excluding public holidays)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Thoie: she got the confirmation email with the Booking Number. She entered that number at the kiosk and got an error message "invalid number". She did it again at a different kiosk, still got error. Then I came along and tried it too on both machines. Got same error.

Will tell her to email reservations as you suggested. Ticket office is closed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Try it at a different station. I've had the same happen to me. Went to another station, worked first time.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Try it at a different station. I've had the same happen to me. Went to another station, worked first time.
    It would be a 20 minute drive to the next station. She's already forwarded the conf message to reservations - no reply to that as expected - and will show the email on the train when asked for the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Similar circumstances for me. The attendant in the station closest to me shrugged their shoulders with an "I dunno" attitude when I was having no joy. Tried over 2 days as well. In the end I just drove to another station as I didn't want to risk a "how do I know you didn't fake that email" line from an RPU person.

• Advertisement

Surprisingly the ticket office was open today before she boarded, was able to get ticket printed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

n97 mini wrote: »
    Similar circumstances for me. The attendant in the station closest to me shrugged their shoulders with an "I dunno" attitude when I was having no joy. Tried over 2 days as well. In the end I just drove to another station as I didn't want to risk a "how do I know you didn't fake that email" line from an RPU person.

That's why I was suggesting forwarding the mail to them in advance, so at least if you were fined by RPU you'd have some chance on appeal as you had made an effort to get it rectified before boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Sometimes the ticket machines crash and go offline and will give you the invalid number message. If this happens you can get the tickets printed manually depending on the station. You will also get this message if the date on your ticket has lapsed or if the ticket has already been printed. If you printed the ticket for the outward journey, you need to hold onto that ticket as you can't reprint it for the return leg or if you loose it. In the worst case scenario where the tickets machines are down and they can't be printed manually, you can board with your booking details.

Advertisement