Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New tyre time

Options
  • 16-07-2016 5:37pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys, with the sterling at the moment, it makes even more sense to buy from camskill.

Looking at tyres for my 19" OEM Wheel.

245 35 R19 Front
    275 30 R19 Rear

Currently torn between Uniroyal Rain sport 3 at €415 delivered all in.
    Or Kumho Ku39 at €375 all in delivered.

Car is mainly used for city commute, local driving, some motorway runs but annual mileage is less than 10k km and it's a diesel saloon so won't be looking to take the corners at max G!

Any opinions or alternatives appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Nexen N8000.

Good tyre, great value.

Nexen are an OEM supplier now too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nexen N8000.

Good tyre, great value.

Nexen are an OEM supplier now too.

Yeah I heard that recently. My cousins bought a second hand F10 and it had Nexen on it.

Set of 4 will be approx €340 using VAT number with Camskill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

kceire wrote: »
    Yeah I heard that recently. My cousins bought a second hand F10 and it had Nexen on it.

Set of 4 will be approx €340 using VAT number with Camskill.

I've done around 200k on them on 2 different cars and have had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Can't rate the Uniroyals much. Had two rear tyres deform on me after 10k miles on a FWD car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Had the KU39s on my E38, probably the best bang for buck out there. Great wet grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

166man wrote: »
    Can't rate the Uniroyals much. Had two rear tyres deform on me after 10k miles on a FWD car.

Yeah had these aswell. 1 sidewall bubbled and 2 worn less than 10k miles and I drive Easy enough. Replaced with Michelin crossclimate all well so far

I had Kumho on my old Evo 5 and found them good in fairness. I've heard mixed reports about the Uniroyal.

I was edging towards the Kumho before hand so might just stick with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Uniroyal Rain sport 3 have bit of a soft wall on them so on a low profile wall of 30/35 you won't have too much protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

I have the Uniroyal tyres on those size, profile on an E60.
    Very happy with them so far.
    Good wear, grip is fine by me & road noise is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

For me after shipping is added oponeo is still working out cheaper than camskill.

I got Falken ZE 914 last time and they seem like a very good tyre but wore out very quickly. Think I'll try the Kumho Ecowings next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Avoid the rain sports. Also, I bought a few tyres recently and camskil were significantly more expensive than Eire tyres. Make sure you shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I love those kuhmos
    Have them on the st and the 4x4

ongarite wrote: »
    I have the Uniroyal tyres on those size, profile on an E60.
    Very happy with them so far.
    Good wear, grip is fine by me & road noise is good.

These are for our E60 too.
    nd wrote: »
    For me after shipping is added oponeo is still working out cheaper than camskill.

I got Falken ZE 914 last time and they seem like a very good tyre but wore out very quickly. Think I'll try the Kumho Ecowings next.

I wrote all the prices down. Camskill were much cheaper once I put our VAT number in so this can be removed.
    Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Avoid the rain sports. Also, I bought a few tyres recently and camskil were significantly more expensive than Eire tyres. Make sure you shop around.

Have checked all the leading online retailers. Can't beat camskill prices inclusive of delivery.

Another option was Federal 595 Evo @ €384 delivered from Oponeo. Camskill don't stock the Federals currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

These are for our E60 too.

I wrote all the prices down. Camskill were much cheaper once I put our VAT number in so this can be removed.

Have checked all the leading online retailers. Can't beat camskill prices inclusive of delivery.

Another option was Federal 595 Evo @ €384 delivered from Oponeo. Camskill don't stock the Federals currently.

Really? They were way more expensive last week. remember their prices are not including vat. Had a pair of Federals once. We used to call them ferrels. Absolute muck. Not too sure what model tyre they were though.

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Really? They were way more expensive last week. remember their prices are not including vat. Had a pair of Federals once. We used to call them ferrels. Absolute muck. Not too sure what model tyre they were though.

yeah deffo cheaper on Camskill. I compared them to Oponeo and Eiretyres today.
    For example, the Uniroyals were 606 delivered from Oponeo and 415 from camskill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Really liking the Goodyear Efficient Grips.

Bit the bullet last night and ordered the Kumho Escta Le Sport (KU39).

Thanks for all comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Bit the bullet last night and ordered the Kumho Escta Le Sport (KU39).

Thanks for all comments.

I've got those on my A5, 245/40/18 XL, for the money I think they're excellent tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I've got those on my A5, 245/40/18 XL, for the money I think they're excellent tyres.

Ditto on my 156. A little noisy but that's the least important characteristic to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Guys, with the sterling at the moment, it makes even more sense to buy from camskill.

Looking at tyres for my 19" OEM Wheel.

245 35 R19 Front
    275 30 R19 Rear

Currently torn between Uniroyal Rain sport 3 at €415 delivered all in.
    Or Kumho Ku39 at €375 all in delivered.

Car is mainly used for city commute, local driving, some motorway runs but annual mileage is less than 10k km and it's a diesel saloon so won't be looking to take the corners at max G!

Any opinions or alternatives appreciated.
    Had the KU39s on my E38, probably the best bang for buck out there. Great wet grip.

My son had tese exact tyres in that size on his E60.
    Found it hard to believe how much grip they had, especially in the wet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Furtzy2

kceire wrote:

Avoid these like the plague. Had them on our fiesta. Positively shocking in the wet and awful droning noise when they wear. Ditched them for a set of Kumho Ecsta. Huge improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

Are there any downsides to Michelin crossclimates? I would have thought they must be up there for tyre choice these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have 13 k miles on a set and they are probably about 5mm on the fronts and 6mm on the rears.
    Great tyre in 205/55-16 but next set I think I am going back to Nokian Weatherproofs.
    Quieter and better turn in are what I remember from the Weatherproofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have 13 k miles on a set and they are probably about 5mm on the fronts and 6mm on the rears.
    Great tyre in 205/55-16 but next set I think I am going back to Nokian Weatherproofs.
    Quieter and better turn in are what I remember from the Weatherproofs.

So the cross climates wear poorly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Are there any downsides to Michelin crossclimates? I would have thought they must be up there for tyre choice these days...
    I am running a set, they are absolutely fine but neither my driving nor last Winter was a challenge to them.

I don't think they are wearing particularly fast...BUT...

I reckon there is quite a difference in the thread depth on new tyres.

e.g. some tyres might come with 8mm, some some with 12mm depth of thread.

So the tyres with less thread depth drom day one aren't gonna last that long.

When I got the Cross Climates I remember saying hmmm, that thread isn't very deep for a new tyre.

Maybe that's why they don't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm getting to new tyre time. Almost every tyre I've researched has at least 1 severely negative review online, usually plenty, so it's hard to gauge.

I was looking at midrange, stuff like the Kumho Ku39, Nexen N8000, Nankang NS20 Noble Sport, Uniroyal RainSport 3 mentioned here. 235/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear.

Are Nexen N6000 similar to the N8000? The N8000 isn't available in rear size on camskill.

Anything else I should be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hey not sure if they do what you want, or you have anyone to fit, but I got my last set for my 318i from an online crowd called Eiretyres. I think they actually came from Germany but delivery was quick and my bro in law who's in the motor trade was very impressed. I've had great mileage out of them and shortly will replace. These prices are a couple of years old, but worth a look

Item No.: D-115190
    > Order No.: 18311051
    > Item: High Performer HS-2 225/50 ZR16 92W with rim protection (MFS)
    > Amount: 4
    > Price: EUR 65.40
    > Total VAT included: 261.60 EUR
    > Includes 23 % VAT = 48.92 EUR
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

So the cross climates wear poorly?

I wouldn't say wear poorly, bear in mind this is on a 2.2 Diesel Accord estate which is driven enthusiastically on all kinds of surfaces.
    They have worn evenly but I do think they don't have as deep a tread as the Weatherproof.
    I'll only buy All seasons now, I ran Nokian All weather + for a couple of years hard wearing but not as quiet or as responsive as the Weatherproof or Crossclimate.

I wrote all the prices down. Camskill were much cheaper once I put our VAT number in so this can be removed. ..........

Apologies as I have no tyre recommendation but what's the story with VAT number, if you have one they don't charge VAT at all ?

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Apologies as I have no tyre recommendation but what's the story with VAT number, if you have one they don't charge VAT at all ?

Yeah, pretty much. If you have an EU qualifying active VAT number they take it off at their end.

Due to get mine tomorrow (currently with DPD), and the Kumho's delivered all in was €388.

Eiretyres, Oponeo or any other place I tried couldn't come close to that price. My mate runs his own garage so I'm getting the E60 Air Con re-gassed on Saturday, so he'll throw them on for me then.

Advertisement