Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong brake shoes fitted?

Options
  • 16-07-2016 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

My Ducato X230 1.4 ton failed the DOE for rear brakes. As my local mechanic was on holiday, I took it to a local Motorhome dealer to have them serviced.
    On the way home I realised the brake pedal was soft and could be pumped up. I took it to my local man who thought it was probably a bit of air in the pipes.
    He took the drums off to see if a wheel cylinder was weeping, and he found that on one side the triangular device that is designed to stop the adjuster moving wasn't contacting the adjuster. On the other side they hadn't bothered to even put it in.
    He thinks they installed the shoes for the 1.8 ton which has holes in different places.
    He said that the absence of this device can allow the adjuster to move. Clearly it is supposed to be there for a purpose.
    :confused::confused:Advice please.
    BTW, there was air in one pipe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Part number will be stamped on the shoes so no need to guess there.

The 2006-2011 1.8 ton has top hat drums don't know about the 2011-2014, the top hat drum diameter is far less than the diameter of the drum only brakes theres no way you could fit them.

Are you talking about the spring here being missing:
    L3Bob3RvLzg3Lzg3LzE0NjM2NDg3ODdfMi5qcGc=

No excuse for air in the brakes or maladjusment.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

It is this triangular part that doesn't fit.
    It is supposed to stop the adjuster moving.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/FIAT-DUCATO-1994-2002-BRAKE-SHOE-ADJUSTER-KIT-1-0-1-4-TON-BBA187B-/231230702502?hash=item35d66c83a6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Sorry I misread x230 as x250.

Those ratchet springs don't come as part of the standard shoe kit. Its very easy to bend them while adjusting the handbrake via the stud hole as you can't see whats going on.

I've had one come off along with associated spring on our old van which made for some interesting brake noises :eek:

In post mortem I found the roll pin they sit on was loose and had migrated but also noted that if you don't hook the lower end of the spring on at the opposite side of the shoe the the coil spring can pull the ratchet spring off the pin.

To give the mechanic the benefit of the doubt its possible:
    - The one that wasn't making contact was bent during adjustment via the stud hole - easy to do as visibility, access is rubbish.

- Missing one was was knocked off during adjustment or that it came off since - in either case I'd expect you to have heard some nasty noises and there to be some filings/debris

- It was missing already - mechanic should have noticed and told you.

Whatever the case they should be paying to rectify.

Advertisement