Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows - New House Build

Options
  • 16-07-2016 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hello there,

I'm looking for some advice here on windows please for a new house build in Galway.

I have gotten a quote and it is outrageous but then again that was for triple glazed with a 0.8 rating. So i am looking to get some feedback from ppl who have gotten windows and who they got them from .. At the moment I am thinking is there really a need to get triple glazed windows all around the house, maybe double glazed will suffice .. i mean really is there a big difference between the two of them? ... any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

What has your architect specified to comply with building regs?
    Windows In my opinion are about the internal comfort factor which is hard to put a price on. good u-values with right glass, in the right frames, and air-tight is essential.

Have you gotten 3quotes?
    What materials are the frames?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Obsolete01

BryanF wrote: »
    What has your architect specified to comply with building regs?
    Windows In my opinion are about the internal comfort factor which is hard to put a price on. good u-values with right glass, in the right frames, and air-tight is essential.

Have you gotten 3quotes?
    What materials are the frames?

He is looking for Triple Glazed with a 0.8 U value. There are approx 30 windows in this house.

No only one quote but with the price i was given i am going to get more quotes now. To be honest i did not plan on getting other quotes because the company i got this quote from are very reliable and do really good work, but at the moment i cant justify the price they quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Obsolete01 wrote: »
    He is looking for Triple Glazed with a 0.8 U value. There are approx 30 windows in this house.

No only one quote but with the price i was given i am going to get more quotes now. To be honest i did not plan on getting other quotes because the company i got this quote from are very reliable and do really good work, but at the moment i cant justify the price they quoted.

On what basis can you not justify it: 30 windows is going to be a big number whatever way you get it done, yes 3G will be a bigger number.
    Is it a PH?
    Whats the rest of the fabric spec and airtightness targets?
    MHVR?
    Also any solar gain calcs on the glazing?
    am surprised with 3G all round unless the glass is being changed

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Big house = big €numbers. Surely this was in budget when designed?

Of the cheaper companies in this country rough guess of €25k min

Of the most expensive companies I would guess north of €50k.....

All without anything out of the ordinary size wise.....pure guesstimate!

I think I ended up getting 20 quotes for our glazing package.....

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kerry bhoy

Hello there,

I'm looking for some advice here on windows please for a new house build in Galway.

I have gotten a quote and it is outrageous but then again that was for triple glazed with a 0.8 rating. So i am looking to get some feedback from ppl who have gotten windows and who they got them from .. At the moment I am thinking is there really a need to get triple glazed windows all around the house, maybe double glazed will suffice .. i mean really is there a big difference between the two of them? ... any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Got three quotes this time last year.
    1 : 22500
    2: 17000
    3: 13500
    All passive frame with triple glazed.18 windows all different sizes, 1 Front door, 1 back door and 1 French door.can pm you company names if you like.

• Advertisement

kerry bhoy wrote: »
    Hello there,

Thank you.

All passive frame with triple glazed.18 windows all different sizes, 1 Front door, 1 back door and 1 French door.can pm you company names if you like.
    yes please

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Meaningless.
    You'd get a bigger spread of prices if you went looking for a new car with a 4 doors and a diesel engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kerry bhoy

fatty pang wrote: »
    Meaningless.
    You'd get a bigger spread of prices if you went looking for a new car with a 4 doors and a diesel engine.

Thanks for your valuable input.
    Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Thanks for your valuable input.

You haven't displayed any evidence that you can determine what value is. OP is looking for advice on windows and, unfortunately, all your contribution thus far amounts to is an affirmation of the common law of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 adrianm1234

Hi Kerry Bhoy and chance you could pm the companies and who did ya go with and are ya happy with the windows.Cheers Adrian

• Advertisement

Hi Kerry Bhoy and chance you could pm the companies and who did ya go with and are ya happy with the windows.Cheers Adrian

I got 28 double glased windows with a 1.1 U Value and 3 composite doors at a great price. Do you want the company I dealt with?

I got 28 double glased windows with a 1.1 U Value and 3 composite doors at a great price. Do you want the company I dealt with?
    Yes please..PM me.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

Yes please..PM me.Thanks

Please can you pm the company for me aswell -thanks a mill

Yes please

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

Yes please Obsolete01, can you PM me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

with the way sterling is at the moment, for 30 windows, would it make sense to go up north or mainland uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭machu

Hi ObsoleteO1 could you send me a pm too please

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tvisdead

been looking at windows myself. getting my quotes in.
    We have had two quotes in thus far.
    One thing to bare in mind with triple glaz aluclad is the weight of the units. Our opes are on the largish side and that has impacted the window size + weight (obviously!) it has put some limitations on the opening types we can have side hung vs. top hung.

side hung have a limit of 900mm width from one supplier I chatted to.

we had about quotes with a 40% cost differece between a good PVC and aluclad

I ended up going with Double Glazed, with a 70mm frame (passive standard) and a U Value of 1.1.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I ended up going with Double Glazed, with a 70mm frame (passive standard) and a U Value of 1.1.

A passive window unit must be 0.8w/m2k minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 paulcotter

Can you pm me that co. Too please?

Advertisement