Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wiring dashcam in mk5 golf - need some advice

Options
  • 16-07-2016 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've just purchased a cheap dash cam and it has the below wiring. Can anyone tell me a good place to pick up the right connector for this so I can wire it into the fusebox without having to do any snipping/soldering.

The yellow cable is just video out.

HabFijh.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You can order a length of cable from the dealer that will come with both ends fitted with the clips that will snap into vacant positions in fuse box meaning you have a professional job.
    They are only a euro or 2. Chop wire in half, solder to your red wire, push new connector into back of fuse box then fit fuse when ready.
    I'd done it when adding bits to the car and its really the only correct way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I don't have a soldering pen though so I'll have to come up with something else.

Would 2 of these do the job?

New ATM APM Circuit Fuse Tap Piggy Back MINI Blade Fuse Holder 15A ACS 12V 24V
    http://s.aliexpress.com/6fEvYjmE

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I've done this using an Add a fuse like that from Halfords.

You also need a fuse for it.

And one of these crimp terminals, ring or open ring.
    I don't recall which I used.
    Proper-battery-ring-terminal-crimp.jpg

That is for the connection to the car bodywork.
    There is a handy bolt present in the fusebox inside drivers door that you can loosen to fit this then tighten once again.

Note that there are two sizes of blade fuse, and so two sizes of Add a fuse.

I used the smaller one and found a fuse slot with switched power. That was on a Mk5

• Advertisement
Advertisement