Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen.

Options
  • 16-07-2016 5:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

What's best to use on a windscreen to clean it and keep it streak and smear clean. Sick a always trying new stuff and ending up with the same results. Also link to products would be handy please. It's seruiosly doing my head in now as 90 percent of my driving is nite driving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

are you talking about the outside streaking in the rain
    or the inside being smeary?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Sorry should of said the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I just use Mr.Muscle window cleaner or Lidl equivelent and clean MF cloths

Are you a smoker by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Cleaning the inside of the windscreen is a real PITA of a job. You think it's done and then you drive into the sun and there's streaks everywhere!

I find the old school method works best - some windowlene and old newspaper. MF cloths tend to leave bits of fluff after them I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

I use eraser and find it brilliant, last for ages.no smears or streaks even when the sunlight hits the windscreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Try cleaning in virtical motion and drying in horizontal motion, even a newspaper will do. Garenteed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The true answer to a streak-free windscreen is as follows:

1. Clean with any window cleaner and a sponge.

2. Wipe clean with an old t-shirt/cloth or a microfibre cloth

3. Apply a thin coat of Autoglym glass polish using a Meguiars microfibre applicator pad

4. Let this dry to a haze like you would with a wax. Using the car's fan on the middle setting (i.e. you have hot and cold air) will do it for you.

5. When it's all dry, buff with a clean, dry microfibre cloth turning to a new side for the final buff. Do not wipe any plastic surfaces with this. Only use for buffing the polish off as it gets dusty.

6. Never use your hand or a cloth to demist the windscreen. Always use the car's fan. Having a new cabin filter will help keep the screen clean longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

JoeA3 wrote: »
    MF cloths tend to leave bits of fluff after them I find.

There are microfibre cloths designed specifically for cleaning glass, which are finer than the normal ones. They don't leave any lint for me. I use them with normal household window cleaner, and always use aircon and heat to demist the windscreen.

I used glass wet wipe things in the past and they were awful - always left streaks.

Advertisement