Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anybody changed from a large saloon to a smaller car?

Options
  • 15-07-2016 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

I am 6 ft, 3 inches tall. I have driven a 2L Diesel Ford Mondeo for the last 7 years. I do about 25,000 miles (40,000 Km)/year. I have really liked the Mondeo. I drive at least 100 km/day, often longer, but I rarely feel tired from it or have a sore back or any consequences.
    However, the Mondeo is dying and I need to replace it. In the meantime, we have a bought a people carrier as a family car, and it now seems difficult to justify having two large cars. So I am considering getting a Ford Focus (or similar size) as my next car.
    I spoke to somebody today who had changed from a saloon to a Focus and she said that she found herself more tired after long drives in the Focus and also really missed the power that she had in the saloon (she moved from a 2L Octavia Diesel to a 1.6L Focus petrol).
    My first car was a Focus, and I really liked it, but I do remember that the Mondeo was noticeably luxurious in comparison [first time somebody has called the Mondeo luxurious!!!].

I am just wondering if anybody else has switched from a saloon (Mondeo type car) to a smaller car, and how you have found it for long drives etc. Do you find that you are more tired after long drives, or have you any back trouble etc?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

I went from a Honda Accord to a focus hatch and Iv no complaints about it on long drives. It has recaro seats being an st which are very comfy. Drove all the way up to Belfast last year in it no bother. Only thing I miss from accord was cruise control but with this car I don't need it really!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CarPark2

Gavman84 wrote: »
    I went from a Honda Accord to a focus hatch and Iv no complaints about it on long drives. It has recaro seats being an st which are very comfy. Drove all the way up to Belfast last year in it no bother. Only thing I miss from accord was cruise control but with this car I don't need it really!

Thanks. Why do you say you don't need cruise control?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Ah it's a hot hatch like so it's not meant for cruising up and down motorways so wouldn't really use it or need it. A diesel focus if doing lot of motorway be handy to have it alright tho but not sure lot have it older ones anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

CarPark2 wrote: »
    I am 6 ft, 3 inches tall. I have driven a 2L Diesel Ford Mondeo for the last 7 years. I do about 25,000 miles (40,000 Km)/year. I have really liked the Mondeo. I drive at least 100 km/day, often longer, but I rarely feel tired from it or have a sore back or any consequences.
    However, the Mondeo is dying and I need to replace it. In the meantime, we have a bought a people carrier as a family car, and it now seems difficult to justify having two large cars. So I am considering getting a Ford Focus (or similar size) as my next car.
    I spoke to somebody today who had changed from a saloon to a Focus and she said that she found herself more tired after long drives in the Focus and also really missed the power that she had in the saloon (she moved from a 2L Octavia Diesel to a 1.6L Focus petrol).
    My first car was a Focus, and I really liked it, but I do remember that the Mondeo was noticeably luxurious in comparison [first time somebody has called the Mondeo luxurious!!!].

I am just wondering if anybody else has switched from a saloon (Mondeo type car) to a smaller car, and how you have found it for long drives etc. Do you find that you are more tired after long drives, or have you any back trouble etc?

Thanks in advance!
    What age bracket are you? I don't understand how anyone can be tired and stiff after a long drive in a small car, I drove from Cork to Dublin and back a few times in a Yaris and I'm in my early 50's, no tiredness or stiffness whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What age bracket are you? I don't understand how anyone can be tired and stiff after a long drive in a small car, I drove from Cork to Dublin and back a few times in a Yaris and I'm in my early 50's, no tiredness or stiffness whatsoever.

I get tired and stiff driving and I'm only 31. Back injuries, broken knee caps and work can take their toll.

Op stick with the bigger car is my advice. I don't understand what you think you'll save by going with a Focus anyway other than initial purchase price. Running costs and tax will be the same

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »

I am late thirties. There are many factors that can affect somebody's back. Taller people tend to suffer in small spaces (a yaris would crucify me). Also, it is cumulative, so a single long drive now and again might not affect you, but consistently long driving (I drive 40,000 km/year) can take its toll.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I get tired and stiff driving and I'm only 31. Back injuries, broken knee caps and work can take their toll.

Op stick with the bigger car is my advice. I don't understand what you think you'll save by going with a Focus anyway other than initial purchase price. Running costs and tax will be the same

I would expect running costs from a 1.6L Diesel Focus to be much cheaper than from a 2L Mondeo. I currently get ~50 mpg from the Mondeo. The 1.6L focus advertise high 60's mpg (whether they achieve that is another matter!). That is not just money, but also environmental impact. I feel a bit guilty about the idea of driving a big saloon car with just myself in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Go test drive some cars. Some cars have better seats than others. Volvo are known for their comfy seats but what's good for me might not be right for you.

Hyundai i20 has loads of headroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Whatever car you choose make sure it has a comfy drivers seat and then driving long distances won't bother you :) one of the reasons I love my Volvo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

The model mondeo you have is a comfy mile muncher. Smaller cars tend to be less comfy, mainly through lots of small things. Smaller cabins can mean less room and smaller seats, less sound deadening, lower spec, smaller engines. It might not be immediately noticeable on a test drive and if the car is a generation newer is usually a more refined product but in your situation I'd look for something similar to what you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

OP, some cars allow the drivers seat to go very far back and down, meaning you'll fit (Octavia for example), while others in the same class have very little space up front (Focus). You'll only know by trying them. There is bugger all difference really in the running costs, most manufacturers consumption figures are fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Doing 40k a year is a lot and I was doing it for the past 2 years.
    I found after 6 months that a Santa Fe is just not meant to be sat in for 2.5 hours a day so I bought a 320d for myself. Far more efficient at 50mpg and comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

OP I'd ignore manufacturers claims about economy. If you're getting 50mpg from a Mondeo I think you've a light right foot. The usual saloons in that class are all pretty comfortable and economical, Passat, Avensis, Mondeo, Insignia, 508, C5 and most are available with a 1.6 diesel or similar.

You need to find a comfortable car. You seem to be the sort to keep a car long term so no point compromising on what you want at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mondeos are a lot of car for the money now. Good 2.0tdci is a dream to drive.

Advertisement