Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many words is to much ?

Options
  • 15-07-2016 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭

Been thinking for a long long time now about getting song lyrics that really mean something to me as a tattoo.

I would prefer it to be done somewhere on my arm or across both arms.
    I was thinking recently the back of my arms would be best seeing as i work in a kitchen and pick up burns from time to time.

Anyway.... What i really would like to get is coming to around 19 20 words. Is this to much?? I want something thats going to look really well to me and that can be clearly read without needing tiny font.

Should i go for something smaller or?

I dont have any tattoos so its all new to me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Way too many words. Can't make letters too small, over time the ink will bleed and what once were letters will be some nice blobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭finooola

I disagree, Adiboo. I think tattoos of loads of words/lettering look really nice. They are not necessarily that legible to anyone looking at them of course. Is that important to you, op?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

finooola wrote: »
    I disagree, Adiboo. I think tattoos of loads of words/lettering look really nice. They are not necessary that legible to anyone looking at them of course. Is that important to you, op?

Whatever I get its going to be important to me because it will be something I base myself on. I want something that can be seen and read clearly though.

Bascially this is what I would love.

In my life
    Why do I give valuable time
    To people who don't care if I live or die.

My mate's got a pretty long quote on her arm that looks very cool. It's in cyrillic though so I can't read it.

Incidentally she's also a chef with very burned and scarred arms. The tattoo seems to have escaped the worst of it though!

Whatever I get its going to be important to me because it will be something I base myself on. I want something that can be seen and read clearly though.

Bascially this is what I would love.

In my life
    Why do I give valuable time
    To people who don't care if I live or die.

That's funny. I was talking in the car with my boyfriend about that very lyric yesterday. He was asking me was Moz deadly serious or was he poking a bit of fun at himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

That's funny. I was talking in the car with my boyfriend about that very lyric yesterday. He was asking me was Moz deadly serious or was he poking a bit of fun at himself.

Lol! That's mad. That's the thing when I listen and read threw most of the lyrics from The Smiths / Morrissey so much of it I relate to and it speaks to me. Something about the lyric I mentioned is basically how I feel all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I disagree, Adiboo. I think tattoos of loads of words/lettering look really nice. They are not necessary that legible to anyone looking at them of course. Is that important to you, op?

They may look nice to you, but they do not last. Countless times, people would come in looking for a long piece of script which inevitably means a small font we would explain to them that it just won't work out well in the long run. Over time, the ink ages with your skin and the ink 'bleeds', meaning that the lines become less defined and 'fuzzy' looking. Give it 10 years and a small font will be a small blob.

Thems the facts.

A bigger work area would suit a long script better than the arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I'd listen to the guy who works in a parlour rather than a random with 39 posts tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Side of the body would be where I'd go with that.

I'd listen to the guy who works in a parlour rather than a random with 39 posts tbh

I'm only giving an aesthetic, rather than a technical opinion. And I've said from the start that text-heavy tattoos aren't particularly legible, even new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If the text goes down the upper arm or forearm, rather than across it, I wouldn't imagine that particular quote being too bad. It would need to be sizable though.

Advertisement