Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car wrongly registered

Options
  • 15-07-2016 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I have just noticed that my car is registered as estate but it is actually a hatchback.. Will department of transport be able to change it.

Need advice on this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it a VW? Quite common if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Common on any import. I see certs weekly with chassis number wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

It is vw 152

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

OP you can get it changed but why bother, it makes absolutely no difference to anyone.

Yeah.a load of hatches are down as estates. Don't think it makes any odds to anyone.

• Advertisement

FortySeven wrote: »
    Common on any import. I see certs weekly with chassis number wrong.

It s Irish car

AutoMan79 wrote: »
    It s Irish car

If chassis is right I wouldn't worry about it. All service and parts done from chassis number.

Would like to change it coz of Insurance and to avoid questions when I sell it..

It's a non issue in reality. Yours isn't the only one out there registered like this, as I said its commonplace on vws.

There's no golf estate model on sale in Ireland so no possible confusion.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's a non issue in reality. Yours isn't the only one out there registered like this, as I said its commonplace on vws.

There is Golf Estate in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have just noticed that my car is registered as estate but it is actually a hatchback.. Will department of transport be able to change it.
    Yes, ring them and ask how to.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,133 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is Golf Estate in Ireland.

You will need to fill out the RF111 form below for change of details on the logbook, section 3 is what you interested in. Have a read of the form first as some sections require a main dealer to confirm and stamp the changes:

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF111_en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The Golf Estate went off the Irish market in 2004, but returned in October 2014!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

damn thats tough....

looks like you will have to drop the car into the bodyshop and have it converted to an estate.....
    big job that ....

:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

OP, my 3 series coupe is registered as a saloon. I copped the mistake on the insurance cert, which was auto filled from their system. A simple call to them sorted the insurance cert, but it's still wrong on the reg cert.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You will need to fill out the RF111 form below for change of details on the logbook, section 3 is what you interested in. Have a read of the form first as some sections require a main dealer to confirm and stamp the changes:

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF111_en.pdf

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

robtri wrote: »
    looks like you will have to drop the car into the bodyshop and have it converted to an estate

Saves all the hassle of re-registering the body style! :)

delly wrote: »
    OP, my 3 series coupe is registered as a saloon. I copped the mistake on the insurance cert, which was auto filled from their system. A simple call to them sorted the insurance cert, but it's still wrong on the reg cert.

I want to be sure if something happens to the car that paperwork is right.

robtri wrote: »
    damn thats tough....

looks like you will have to drop the car into the bodyshop and have it converted to an estate.....
    big job that ....

:)

Hahaha might be easier to do it haha

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I want to be sure if something happens to the car that paperwork is right.

What the insurance company have on record is what matters, but sure change it with Shannon if you're worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

My Golf R is down as an "estate" as was the GTI before it. Not an issue, I never bothered doing anything about it.

I am so amazed how many issues are here with paperwork.. So is that a fault of VW guys who are sending the paper work or ppl at the registration office ???

I am so amazed how many issues are here with paperwork.. So is that a fault of VW guys who are sending the paper work or ppl at the registration office ???

Vrt are appalling. Constant mistakes with chassis recording. I sell parts where chassis is paramount and you end up guessing the s should be a 5 or the 1 might be an l. I often have to tell customers to go and get the number off the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I had the same with the Leon FR. It was down as an estate when SEAT were not selling a 184PS estate. I copped it before I went to tax it for the first time in the tax office. It was changed there and then when I pointed out the car out the window. If a tax disc was issued, it couldn't have been changed so quickly.

I copped it as I looked at the computer screen when the civil servant was inputting details and getting the tax figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

JoeA3 wrote: »
    My Golf R is down as an "estate" as was the GTI before it. Not an issue, I never bothered doing anything about it.

So is mine.

Any idea why that is? When getting insurance last week the wrong car is selected when I input the reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Neilw wrote: »
    So is mine.

Any idea why that is? When getting insurance last week the wrong car is selected when I input the reg.

Just checked 2 hatches and an estate (a Golfs) I've had registered this month and they are all down as estates. Only golf's correct are the vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Neilw wrote: »
    So is mine.

No idea Neil. Has never made any difference and I never had the motivation to chase it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

For a long time there was no new golf estate model on sale in Ireland in VW dealers but there is now for the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,133 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say the mistake is historical and nobody bothered or cared to rectify it. More than likely the standard "computer says estate" mentality in Government departments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Its all to do with how the cars are classified on the EU type approval documents. If you check it anywhere in Europe it will be the same as it is in Ireland.

Advertisement