Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine warning light - 16 Hyundai Tucson Diesel - Losing Power

Options
  • 15-07-2016 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an engine warning light on my Hyundai Tucson dash. Ive been to the dealer nearest where it came on and they checked it out to be something wrong with a temperature sensor. They said it was fine to drive and was a known issue that needed a replacement redesigned part. I agreed to sort that with my home dealer as I was a few hours from home.

With a few hours I noticed (possible I didn't notice before) that the car is losing power when being accelerated and is simply not moving at the pace it could a few days ago. It goes to 2800/3000 revs and feels like its being limited at that point. I can get to 120kph on the motorway but it is taking a long time to make it.

Its booked in to the main dealer near home in a couple of days time but I'm not going to drive it until then just in case. I have a feeling that something more serious than a sensor is at fault, or, the engine has some sort of self protection system kicking in that is stopping the turbo from acting. It doesn't feel like the turbo is kicking in at all.

The indicator is solid and not flashing which only tells me it needs to be seen by the garage. Im not sure if the first garage got this one right. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

yea sounds like its in limp home mode

• Registered Users Posts: 20 toyotamechanic

Could be few reasons/issues go to good mechanic that have computer with realtime test-probably Hyundai,my first choice to check would be injectors as if one just died,that would cause results as you mentioned,i just has avensis t27 with exacly same issues causes by bad fuel-one injector has to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Could be few reasons/issues go to good mechanic that have computer with realtime test-probably Hyundai,my first choice to check would be injectors as if one just died,that would cause results as you mentioned,i just has avensis t27 with exacly same issues causes by bad fuel-one injector has to be replaced.

It's a 161, bring it to a main dealer and say 'fix it' simples - which s what he's done :D

The car is in limp mode, it has detected either air,fuel or temp readings outside of the set parameters in the ECU and has reduced the power/boost to prevent further damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Thanks for the help! I didn't know for sure there was a limp home mode but to have it confirmed as that and not a problem with the turbo that would take days to fix is great. Appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's 5 years AA assist with them, would calling out the AA be an option if it turns out to be a simply fix?

http://www.hyundai.ie/5-year-unlimited-mileage-warranty

• Advertisement

Ah it's grand! It's only the sensor causing it so I'll dump it in on Monday and they'll sort it. It's my second Hyundai so I know they're very good to sort stuff out without hassle.

Final update! Dropped it into the main dealer. Back to me in 2 hours and driving perfectly. It was just the new part that needed to go in and then the limp mode was reset. Its not ideal for it to have kicked off but I can't fault Hyundai service at all. All is well! Thanks for the tips and reassurance!

Advertisement