Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wondering why certain Car manufactures have such a bad name ?

Options
  • 15-07-2016 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

I have been told by a couple of mechanics over the years not to buy the likes of Opel & Peugeot but have never actually been told why. Im looking for a new car and although i would love a Vw golf i cant afford one both Peugeot and Opels have caught my eye but I've just been told so many times to keep away from them I would really like to know why they have such a bad name ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭jcon1913

I have been told by a couple of mechanics over the years not to buy the likes of Opel & Peugeot but have never actually been told why. Im looking for a new car and although i would love a Vw golf i cant afford one both Peugeot and Opels have caught my eye but I've just been told so many times to keep away from them I would really like to know why they have such a bad name ?

Cant say, it would depend on the model. Plenty of guys on here have more experience on the mechanics.

I have owned 2 zafiras, never a bother on them, ran one up to 120k miles before getting rid. That said i drove it like an old man. V slowly.
    I had a 2.7l audi a80 drove it like a hooligan it was a money pit. So treat them well it will be better in the long run 😄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

A lot of it is down to clueless barstool talk, along with the general fear of people to speak out against what's considered to be a consensus.

All car manufacturers got through good and bad phases of production, but to say that one particular make is always bad is simply daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

Are chevrolets that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No the ones we get here are usually worse than bad. Normally GM cast offs or rebadged Daewoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

some makes/models are better or worse than others... But hey wouldn't life be wicked boring if we all liked/bought the same car. Luckily everyone has their own preferences and www.parkers.co.uk is a really good unbiased place to research almost any make & model.
    Ignore others opinions and form your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 toyotamechanic

If you would buy new car its different story,you care maintain the car and that can lead to be happy even with Opel,Ford,French or Korean cars.As mentioned here every company have good and bad times,models.If you would be more specific to mark/models you're interested that will give a chance to make opinion.
    Auto test wold show you some results of one or the other model in reliability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Make is not an accurate guide to reliability, only the model is, and it changes from one revision of that model to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Make is not an accurate guide to reliability, only the model is, and it changes from one revision of that model to another.

I'd argue servicing is even more indicative of longterm reliability. Lots of people buy new cars and won't service them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I'd argue servicing is even more indicative of longterm reliability. Lots of people buy new cars and won't service them.

true, but all other things being equal, some models stand up to the poor standards of servicing and in Ireland a lot better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

yobr wrote: »
    Are chevrolets that bad?

Don't know now, as I haven't been around many new ones but they're on older GM (Opel) bits.
    The older ones were grand I thought. Daewoos (again, old GM/old Opel) with a new badge. Simple as a car can be, while still passing EU approval. If they gave trouble, it was rarely serious. And ultra rarely electrical :D

I actually quite like the look of some of them.
    Chevrolet-Aveo_RS_Concept-2010-hd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes but this is what we get:

media?xwm=y&id=4ab8d740-1da8-4142-80b6-5b21deaf4607&width=400&height=300

• Registered Users Posts: 20 toyotamechanic

But if we would get ones like blue above it woudnt change its 900kg of plastic.
    We wont see in next years Chevrolet(Deawoo with slighty better name)as GM will
    finishing saling these cars on european market to keep Opel alive-one of the few moves they done to avoid Opel bankruptcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

But if we would get ones like blue above it woudnt change its 900kg of plastic.
    We wont see in next years Chevrolet(Deawoo with slighty better name)as GM will
    finishing saling these cars on european market to keep Opel alive-one of the few moves they done to avoid Opel bankruptcy.

They already did - like two years ago... Chevrolet Europe entity was completely dissolved this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Indeed and even depending on what variation you buy the Fiesta for example uses (or used to use)a ford/mazda developed petrol engine but a Peugeot developed diesel engine.

So people buying a Diesel 207 & a Fiesta are buying the same engine, often not knowing....

Renault, Dacia & Nissan all use the same engines the 1.5 diesel is standard across their models. It really is worth doing a bit of research into these things.

Advertisement