Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre question [NCT and tyre sizes]

Options
  • 15-07-2016 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Is it ok to have 215 55 16s on back and 205 55 16s on front? I have an NCT retest (visual) and this is what my tyre man is proposing. He's a small operator and only has 205s in stock. Could I fail if they're different sizes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

That will be fine.
    Plenty of cars have different size tyres front to rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Test manual saves the day again
    https://www.ncts.ie/media/1004/nct-manual-july-2014.pdf
    1. Check that tyres on the same axle are of the same size

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

pawdee wrote: »
    Is it ok to have 215 55 16s on back and 205 55 16s on front? I have an NCT retest (visual) and this is what my tyre man is proposing. He's a small operator and only has 205s in stock. Could I fail if they're different sizes?

Traction control might complain...

You'd be better with 205/60/16 - they are virtually identical to 215/55/16 diameter wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Good thing about 205/55 is that it's a very common and cheap size.
    It will more than likely affect your headlight aim though.

You won't fail, but seriously, he can't just order them in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Good thing about 205/55 is that it's a very common and cheap size.
    It will more than likely affect your headlight aim though.

You won't fail, but seriously, he can't just order them in?

Tyre places are generally useless.

"No we only have ditchfinders in that size"

"Continental you want is it?! Better re-mortgage the house!"

"We could arder those in alright but they'll take about..... 3 weeks to arrive. We'll need the full payment upfront and it could be up to 6 weeks. Ya see tis a very unusual brand of tyre, in a very unusual size and you're putting them on a very unusual rim and the lad who fits those is only in on Fridays for a half day and what time he comes in depends on how much he had to drink the night before"

They'd nearly give out to you for putting anything other than a Landsail or a Wanli under a car that's over 10 years old

• Advertisement
Advertisement