Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment law - temporary contracts

Options
  • 14-07-2016 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if my employer can legally do something. I won't name the company but they are in profit to the tune of hundreds of millions annually.

I am one of 35 employees on a 3 year contract which is due to end in November this year.
    At the moment the company has pushed in a new pay deal which has been rejected by 1 union (my union) and accepted by another union. The 35 contract staff are spread across the 2 unions.

In a recent publication the company has suggested that they plan to offer permanent contracts to the members of the union that has accepted the deal.

Can they legally discriminate workers by what union they are in? Is this victimisation?

Would be interested to hear what people in the know think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Once your contract ends there is not really much you can do unless they have broken some form of employment or contract law.

It seems to be what they are doing is waiting for your contract to end, then offering the new terms to the people who will accept them.

while ethically is a bit stinky theres nothing really wrong with it.

discrimination in regards to being in a union is taken very seriously so thats maybe a road you could go down...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

scoops22 wrote: »
    Hello

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if my employer can legally do something. I won't name the company but they are in profit to the tune of hundreds of millions annually.

I am one of 35 employees on a 3 year contract which is due to end in November this year.
    At the moment the company has pushed in a new pay deal which has been rejected by 1 union (my union) and accepted by another union. The 35 contract staff are spread across the 2 unions.

In a recent publication the company has suggested that they plan to offer permanent contracts to the members of the union that has accepted the deal.

Can they legally discriminate workers by what union they are in? Is this victimisation?

Would be interested to hear what people in the know think.

Can you change to the other union ?

Advertisement