Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying UK car in Ireland

Options
  • 14-07-2016 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm relocating to the UK in the next few weeks and am looking to pick up a UK registered car, preferably one that's already in Ireland as I'd prefer to drive the car over to the UK when I'm making the move.

I've seen that there are a few places that allow you to bid on cars and will then import if you win the auction. However, I'm wondering if people know of any car places anywhere in Ireland that already have a selection of UK cars already in stock and ready to sell?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Northern Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

At the risk of asking a stupid Q, is there any conversion process needed for NI cars over in England or is a UK reg a UK reg? i.e. for insurance purposes would a NI car be considered an import if being driven in England?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A lot of car dealers here sell UK imports these days. Some may be reluctant to sell it to an Irish resident on UK plates without VRTing it as under law they are obliged to do so.

You need to be very careful though as you need to check if the car has been declared exported by the UK DVLA. If it has there is a bit more involved in then getting it re-registered over there. So get the UK registration of the car first and contact the DVLA to check it's status.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

gruffler91 wrote: »
    At the risk of asking a stupid Q, is there any conversion process needed for NI cars over in England or is a UK reg a UK reg? i.e. for insurance purposes would a NI car be considered an import if being driven in England?
    They used to be considered separate but it's all the same since a few years ago. Obviously you need to send part of the v5 form (I think) to the DVLA regarding change of address and/or owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

gruffler91 wrote: »

Same reg can be used anywhere in the UK. A NIRL plate is 3 letters followed by numbers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement