Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water heater drain..

Options
  • 14-07-2016 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Do people drain their caravan water heaters on every journey to cut down on weight or just for winter lay-up/storage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Crackcrack30 ,
    The idea of someone emptying all water systems to reduce weight and save fuel appears to me to be extremely frugal and possibly / probably damaging to your whole waterworks system inside your van .
    Maybe there is someone on here that will tell you how much you can save on diesel by emptying your water tanks before departure but I would be very surprised if you saved two euro per one hundred miles .
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Thanks ,the idea was to save on weight & not fuel....My thinking was that if there was 30 kg of water in the heater that that could be 30 kg of extra luggage.....especially on long trips, I have never done it and was just wondering if others do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭db

I take the question as being specifically in relation to caravans. I drain the water heater before leaving site after every trip, it only takes a few seconds. I don't like to leave water sitting in the system for long periods and it does cut down the weight a bit. I can't imagine anyone doing it on a camper / motorhome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

demoreino wrote: »
    and possibly / probably damaging to your whole waterworks system inside your van .
    I don't do it, but not sure what damage it would do? My boiler empties on a separate switch (that also automatically trips any time you un hook the leisure battery). It doesn't seem to do anything else bar let the water drain out a plug hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

It makes sense to empty the water systems to save on weight, for both payload and fuel consumption.
    Why carry extra around weight if you don't need to - especially during the warmer months.

Also, if staying on sites with access to facilities, why have water in the water heater - especially during the warmer months when heating is not required. If you want hot water to wash dishes etc why not just boil a kettle of water - you are paying for the electricity anyway.

If staying off sites with no access to facilities (not applicable to caravans), that's a different story.
    I can't see how occassionally emptying the water heater during the year would be damaging to your whole waterworks system inside your van. Sure, its a bit more work on the water pump in the fresh water tank to get water back through the hot water taps via the water heater.

Or am I completely missing something?

• Advertisement
Advertisement