Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Citroen C5 1.6 HDI Clutch replacement.

Options
  • 14-07-2016 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭

The clutch on my 2010 112,000 km C5 has started slipping, is there any pitfalls for a competent DIYer to replace this?. I'm hoping the flywheel is ok, as there is no telltale vibrations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Replace the flywheel anyway! You will be kicking yourself if it starts to rattle a few months down the line. The flywheel is guaranteed to go at some point anyway (assuming it's a dual mass flywheel) so you may as well replace it now and safe yourself on hassle / labour costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Do you have a pit/lift? If you do, you'd be at an advantage! Never did a clutch on a c5, can't imagine them being the nicest, George Dalton would be the man to ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

same car same engine, my clutch went at 190000km. I researched a DIY job but it looks quite complicated and I was put off. I ended up paying 850 to euroclutch for a replacement 3 part clutch and slave cylinder. They said the DMF was ok and it still is 40k km further on. I think I was overcharged, I was a captive audience! The clutch that came out, the pressure plate / bearing yoke had collapsed, there was very little wear on the clutch material.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

aujopimur wrote: »
    The clutch on my 2010 112,000 km C5 has started slipping, is there any pitfalls for a competent DIYer to replace this?. I'm hoping the flywheel is ok, as there is no telltale vibrations.

Is it a 1.6 hdi? You're in for a level of pain and suffering my freind :D
    If you're dead set and confident, then go for it, but the ripping is cruel...
    The last one I did was on a 407. Same setup underneath, if it's diesel.
    You'll want sockets, torx, allan keys etc etc..

Fuse boxes, ecus, airways and looms need to be moved up top, front sections of the subframe need moving underneath, etc etc..

The laugh for me - as a man on the ground with no gearbox jack - was deciding whether or not the manifold and dpf filter needed to come off to get at the last bolt holding the box to the engine, wether or not I could hold and jiggle the box while slowly getting at it with an open spanner and minding the radiator (try doing that, getting it back in, lol.....) or wether or not it could simply have it's head cut off with a hacksaw blade and the box slid out over it, upon which I simply twisted out the remains of the bolt and binned it.

I chose the third option, mainly as there were more nuts and bolts holding the box on that there are grains of sand in the world's deserts...
    6 years and another 100,000km on, it's still rolling :D

But no they are one of the slightly awful cars to do that on..

• Advertisement
Advertisement