Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying and insuring a car in Ireland after moving from the UK

Options
  • 14-07-2016 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

OK So i have a lady in Galway :)and I'm moving over to live with her within a month.

She lives in a very isolated area in county Galway so i have a few issues. Not least getting to and from the city to work and thats after finding a job.

I have passed my driving test in the UK and i know i can use my licence in Ireland.

I have around 2000e for a car + insurance (i know that not a lot but its what i have and what i need to use:O)

She spoke to an insurance company and as Im a new driver and from UK (passed only Jan 2016) and despite being 36yr old not many insurance companies would insure me on anything older than 10 year car.

Basically any advice welcome (except save more money im kinda stuck with that)

I've had a look at some 32006/7 models and i can pick up one for around 1500-1800 if i look far and wide, but putting details in insurance company website quote templates is getting me nowhere.

Any advice on where to get insured and rough costs and advice on where to look for cars and what to look out for or avoid.

Cheers in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭td2008

Clements might be your best bet

https://www.clements.com

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Does the 2k include the price of the car and the insurance or just the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved to buying forum.
    About insuring, see this list of insurers. Get a quote from each once you know what car you'll be driving.

About buying keep an eye on this thread, it's for cheapo cars.

Get something small, with small engine. It will be cheap to run and cheap to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Ernie84 wrote: »
    I have around 2000e for a car + insurance (i know that not a lot but its what i have and what i need to use:O)

I'm afraid that two grand will not cover the insurance alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CarPark2

If your lady has a no-claims bonus, she might be able to add you to her insurance. Not ideal, but it may be an option. Of course, you would need to drive very carefully, as a break in her no-claims bonus will not do wonders for your relationship!
    Along the same lines, if you add her as a named driver on your insurance, it will probably reduce your cost a little bit. Every little helps as they say!

• Advertisement
Advertisement