Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV works in one house but not another.

• 14-07-2016 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I gave my old TV to my brother for his bedroom and it's Saorview ready, I used it in my own house without the need for a Saorview box but we just tried it in his house and it doesn't work, it says the signal strength is about 30%
    The TV in his living room works fine, but when we tried my old TV with that cable it didn't work either. So if the TV works fine in my house, and the signal is fine for his living room TV, then what could be the problem there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80,799 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

How far is your house from your brothers house? Did you try retune your tv at his address or just leave it with your settings as yours could be set to a different transmitter which works fine from your house but not his.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pazma

How far is your house from your brothers house? Did you try retune your tv at his address or just leave it with your settings as yours could be set to a different transmitter which works fine from your house but not his.

We live in the same estate, so his house is only a few hundred yards away. I think he tried to retune it when he got to his house but he didn't have any luck with it. I think I'll take it back home and try it here again, maybe the TV got bumped or something when moving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

30% sounds a bit low to me.
    What does the working TV say?
    Check the aerial socket in the rear of the tv is not damaged. The centre socket may have been spread a little meaning the centre pin is not making good contact.
    Different tuner makes have different sensitivities. It's possible the signal is (just) good enough for one make but below the usable threshold for another.

30% sounds a bit low to me.
    What does the working TV say?
    Check the aerial socket in the rear of the tv is not damaged. The centre socket may have been spread a little meaning the centre pin is not making good contact.
    Different tuner makes have different sensitivities. It's possible the signal is (just) good enough for one make but below the usable threshold for another.

I don't know what the working one says, I haven't been over to his house since, but I'll definitely check it. I'll have a look at the socket too, it might be a bit loose or something. Thanks for the reply, I have something to go on now at least. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Pazma wrote: »
    I gave my old TV to my brother for his bedroom and it's Saorview ready, I used it in my own house without the need for a Saorview box but we just tried it in his house and it doesn't work, it says the signal strength is about 30%
    The TV in his living room works fine, but when we tried my old TV with that cable it didn't work either. So if the TV works fine in my house, and the signal is fine for his living room TV, then what could be the problem there?

It could be that the signal strength is too low at the TV points for the TV's tuner, how well a tuner can handle a weak signal can vary from one receiver to another.

While the TVs meter reading wouldn't be highly accurate it gives a good indication of what the input signal is like, what are the signal strength/quality readings like for the 2 TVs at the 2 TV points? The signal quality is the important figure and should be as close to 100% as possible.

What is the aerial setup in the house, internal/external, splitters/distribution amps etc.?

Edit: Gerry beat me to it ...

• Advertisement

Problem solved. Somehow, probably something he did when he got it home, the TV was set to search for UK channels. Once he figured that out he tuned it in without any problem. I guess he was messing with the settings or something and made a mistake. Thanks for the replies, I very much appreciate your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Pazma wrote: »
    Problem solved. Somehow, probably something he did when he got it home, the TV was set to search for UK channels. Once he figured that out he tuned it in without any problem.

Thanks for the feedback, in UK mode the Irish channels would normally be stored from position 800 upwards.

Advertisement