Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2005 Ford Focus - driver dash area and under steering wheel overheating

Options
  • 14-07-2016 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

2005 ford focus - driver dash/under steering overHeating (just corrected title typo !!)

Hi, I purchased a 2005 1.4 petrol Focus a few months back (privately) - very happy with the car... But since I purchased it, I find that the area underneath & around the Steering and also the dash area (from the right of the heating controls/radio over as far as driver door) gets extremely hot when I have been driving the car after 20 - 30 minutes and this continues throughout the journey and does not cool down.

I do not have the heat or any fan on at the time. It can occur in all weathers (not just on a hot day). No burning smell occurs. It obviously is making the car very hot for me as the driver and I'm thinking what may happen!.

Does anyone know what is causing this intense heat and what should be done?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Have you tried turning your heater controls to cold or check the direction is changing.
    Either of those cables could have come adrift from the heater controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Have you tried turning your heater controls to cold or check the direction is changing.
    Either of those cables could have come adrift from the heater controls.

Heater controls and out vents are working normal.

I haven't had any reason to turn on the heat to warm air since I purchased the car. As my initial post - either way cold or warm air.. the problem still exists.

I haven't had any reason to turn on the heat to warm air since I purchased the car. As my initial post - either way cold or warm air.. the problem still exists.

Because the heater controls are not working it is moving on the heater control knob but i wouldnt think its moving the flaps in the heater box.

Have a look up under the dash as you move the knob you will be able to see the levers moving.

If its not moving take the radio out and the cable is likely kinked where it goes onto the heater controls.

Because the heater controls are not working it is moving on the heater control knob but i wouldnt think its moving the flaps in the heater box.

Have a look up under the dash as you move the knob you will be able to see the levers moving.

If its not moving take the radio out and the cable is likely kinked where it goes onto the heater controls.

The heater controls above the radio and related hot/cold fans are working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Your car has a small radiator inside the car, its purpose is to supply heat to the cabin in cold weather.
    The hot water from the engine circulates around the engine to cool it and it can also circulate through the small rad. (heater matrix) if the valve that controls the heat circulation through the matrix sticks or fails you will get heat inside the car which in your case is unwanted.
    Just because the knob turns on the dash does not mean the valve is opening and closing, you need to start with checking the valve and its associated connection to the knob on the dash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You might also consider changing your username.

:)

endacl wrote: »
    You might also consider changing your username.

:)

At least the dash in that previous car stayed cool !

Didnt mention it in my first post - but it is the plastic of the dash and under steering which gets hot (as well as that general steering open area). This is worrying me!

At least the dash in that previous car stayed cool !

Didnt mention it in my first post - but it is the plastic of the dash and under steering which gets hot (as well as that general steering open area). This is worrying me!

Its not fire or you wouldn't be writing this.
    So it must be heat from the heater box.
    Have you checked the things that have been suggested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I wonder if it's possible for the key barrel to be in a bad condition causing bad contact which is heating it up? The barrels in mk2 Focuses are meant to be unreliable from what I've heard.

Is the metal part of your key hot when you take it out after a drive?

If there is sufficient current present to heat the key barrel, dash and lower dash then there will be melted plastic and smoke.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Have you checked the things that have been suggested?

thanks but how do I check the valve and its associated connection to the knob on the dash? i havent taken off any parts.

The heating system seems to be doing its job i.e.: hot and cold air controlled by the dial.

I just get the feeling the problem has little to do with the heating system.

The heat coming from the plastic of the lower driver side dash is hotter than the fan heating system. And this occurs when the heat is on or off - every time i drive for more than 20 mins.

thanks but how do I check the valve and its associated connection to the knob on the dash? i havent taken off any parts.

The heating system seems to be doing its job i.e.: hot and cold air controlled by the dial.

I just get the feeling the problem has little to do with the heating system.

The heat coming from the plastic of the lower driver side dash is hotter than the fan heating system. And this occurs when the heat is on or off - every time i drive for more than 20 mins.

Remove the radio and look into the hole.
    It sounds like a heater issue to me, after 20 mins the engine is fully warm and the heating system is starting to work.
    If it was electrical it would be there from the start.

CJhaughey wrote:
    Remove the radio and look into the hole. It sounds like a heater issue to me, after 20 mins the engine is fully warm and the heating system is starting to work. If it was electrical it would be there from the start.

I said that a week ago. Sure as the saying goes " you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink "

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement