Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have flights to Faro... Now looking for accommodation

Options
  • 14-07-2016 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

Hi

Never been to Portugal... So took a chance and booked 2 seats to Faro with Ryanair as they fell nicely into my August holidays.

Now to find accommodation

Am not fussed if Self catering or hotel once there is a pool on site
    Looking for the cheapest transfer distance and cost
    Don't want to be stuck in middle of nowhere

Anybody got any links to recommendations????

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lolls2001

I am a travel agent ! The price of accom is mad this year. Its just crazy
    Ryanair have reduced all the flight prices but finding a place to stay is so hard
    I love Portugal, and the best value is usually Praia Da Rocha or Albuferia, but the nicest places are vilamoura and Lagos
    Id be happy to help you if you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

lolls2001 wrote: »
    Ryanair have reduced all the flight prices but finding a place to stay is so hard

It doesn't sound logical - everyone wants to go there but Ryanair have reduced their fares. :confused: Is it because the airlines have put more capacity on the route than the local hotels can handle?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What dates?
    Is it just for yourself or two people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

spurious wrote: »
    What dates?
    Is it just for yourself or two people?

Tuesday 16 August to tues 23 August. 2 adults.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

lowcostholidays.ie have Mirachoro II Apartments in Portimao, Room only or self-catering for between 294.87 and 327.63 per person, depending on apartment.

Worth putting in your dates and see what else comes up.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    It doesn't sound logical - everyone wants to go there but Ryanair have reduced their fares. :confused: Is it because the airlines have put more capacity on the route than the local hotels can handle?

Its really because flights have been cancelled to turkey, tunisia, egypt, morocco. People dont really want to go to the Greek Isles either . So people that would traditionally go to these places are all going to Spain and Portugal etc ! Demand is high in the resorts and the supply is more or less the same as other years ! So places that i would sell for €200 per person for accom are coming in at €400 pp this year! Crazy. I would suggest Albuferia over Praia Da Rocha though, it has a better mix resort wise! Old town, strip, new town , nice beach and shops, shopping centre and zoomarine !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Try homeaway.com where you book directly from the owners, there is usually decent availability on there as many people stick to trivago etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We've booked an apt in Real Marina Residence in Olhao.
    Cost us 704 for 6 nights

• Registered Users Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Its really because flights have been cancelled to turkey, tunisia, egypt, morocco. People dont really want to go to the Greek Isles either . So people that would traditionally go to these places are all going to Spain and Portugal etc ! Demand is high in the resorts and the supply is more or less the same as other years ! So places that i would sell for €200 per person for accom are coming in at €400 pp this year! Crazy. I would suggest Albuferia over Praia Da Rocha though, it has a better mix resort wise! Old town, strip, new town , nice beach and shops, shopping centre and zoomarine !

Yes I know all that. Last October for example, Aer Lingus were flying the big A330s to out to Faro and Malaga in the morning and back in time to do the afternoon runs to Boston and NY, all because of reduced demand on those other destinations you mentioned.

My question was: why are the airfares to Faro coming down (you said above: 'Ryanair have reduced all the flight prices') if demand is so high?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Accommodation on the Algarve is hard to get this year as already stated. Most people will get accommodation and then they book their flights or do both together. If accommodation is not available then no need to book the flight thus Ryanair have now spare seats as result. Its not only Irish people that go there and I would suspect that a lot of British will be on the resorts this year due to reasons already given.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes I know all that. Last October for example, Aer Lingus were flying the big A330s to out to Faro and Malaga in the morning and back in time to do the afternoon runs to Boston and NY, all because of reduced demand on those other destinations you mentioned.

My question was: why are the airfares to Faro coming down (you said above: 'Ryanair have reduced all the flight prices') if demand is so high?

Because the supply of hotels in the Algarve is so limited that Ryanair are finding it hard to sell the flights at a high price,for example you were paying €500 for a week last year for a 3* Hotel in Albuferia for a week (hotel only)... That same hotel for the same dates and the same room type , THIS year is selling for €800- €1000. So Ryanair either keep flight prices high and no one books, and they send out aircrafts half empty... or they reduce prices of the flights and try to get some people on seats. The Hotels wont reduce their price, they are getting a massive slice of all tourists from all countries that traditionally might not have gone to their resorts in previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Had a look at Air bnb in Albufeira - still looking at 100+ per night

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Would you look at private rental? Some good value out there by dealing directly with the owner. Vilamoura is lovely and in my opinion worth the few extra quid over Albufeira.
    I've never been to Olhos D'Agua but it also looks lovely if a little quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I love Portugal, and the best value is usually Praia Da Rocha or Albuferia, but the nicest places are vilamoura and Lagos
    Id be happy to help you if you like!
    I'd avoid those tourist trap areas and look at olhauo or cabana done great self catering options on ownersdirect or Airbnb

When I was looking in April for July there was nothing near the Spanish border.
    All the Portuguese on holidays.
    Got a week in Olhao eventually .

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Might not be so many brits there next year.
    Between increased prices because of lack of interest in Northern Africa, Turkey and Greece etc and sterling dropping against the euro because of Brexit holidays will be a lot more expensive for them to Europe.
    Maybe accommodation prices will come down for next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Am bumping this old thread... as an same osutuon as OP. Getting good fares to Faro in August 11ty for 7 nights but don't know where to go in Portugal.

Have look at the recommendation above but no joy on booking.

Any update on recommended accommodation???

Olhao is nice . we stayed in the Real marina apartments. its a portuguese resort and is free of english beer and breakfasats !!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Olhao is nice . we stayed in the Real marina apartments. its a portuguese resort and is free of english beer and breakfasats !!

Many thanks... PM sent for further details...hope u can oblige

Advertisement