Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Low oil pressure

Options
  • 14-07-2016 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 2011 BMW 320d. It's due a service in 3000 miles but the low oil pressure light is after coming on. Is it common enough for that to occur before the service date or could it be a cause for concern?
    Also should I go ahead and top up the oil or wait to get it serviced?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Top it up, oil is cheaper than bearings. I'm assuming you mean low oil level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

brady23 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a 2011 BMW 320d. It's due a service in 3000 miles but the low oil pressure light is after coming on. Is it common enough for that to occur before the service date or could it be a cause for concern?
    Also should I go ahead and top up the oil or wait to get it serviced?

Have it checked Immediately!

Low pressure does not mean low oil level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Thanks lads,

Miss read the lights, I thought the yellow was pressure, just oil level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Thanks lads,

Miss read the lights, I thought the yellow was pressure, just oil level

Read the manual and see how much oil should be added, I wouldn't drive it either.
    I had a Z4 with that horrible electronic oil level, when the light came on it was time to add 1 litre of oil according to the owners manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

You should never let the oil light come on in the first place. Only takes a few mins every now and then to check your oil level and top up if needed. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

jimbis wrote: »
    You should never let the oil light come on in the first place. Only takes a few mins every now and then to check your oil level and top up if needed. ;)

You can't check the level in modern bmws, it tells you when it's getting low on a virtual dipstick if you will.
    No harm being done just needs a little top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

YbFocus wrote: »
    You can't check the level in modern bmws, it tells you when it's getting low on a virtual dipstick if you will.

Learn something new everyday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

YbFocus wrote: »

My car is a 2011 and it has a dipstick?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

My car is a 2011 and it has a dipstick?

Some do and some don't, don't know the ins and outs :)

Mine warns me and it has a dipstick too.

Advertisement