Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car, high emissions

Options
  • 14-07-2016 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Wondering if someone might know a bit about this?

I purchased a 131D car a month ago with 9000miles. It's a 1.6 Diesel Hyundai i30 Automatic. It was an import from UK purchased in a garage in Ireland. My older car 10D had tax of €280 a year so I was shocked when the newer car tax came back as €390 per year. I am querying this with the garage (still to hear back) and have spoken to motor tax office that says it's correct. My family members, however, still maintain it's wrong and that it shouldn't be that much. My dad has a 2.0L Automatic Diesel Passat (11D) and his is only €280 per year. Based on the emissions they've registered (145) this is correct, but my cousin assumes they registered it wrongly or something and might not pass the NCT in a few years based on these emissions. Anyone that knows about things like this have any ideas? If you don't know, thank you for wanting to comment, but please don't respond as it will only confuse the situation further.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

The Co2 output on those Hyundais is higher than the Passat then. Have a look on DoneDeal for similar cars, they all have a €390 rate!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars/Hyundai/I30?transmission=Automatic&fuelType=Diesel&engine_from=1.6&engine_to=1.6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

145 g/km is correct and therefore you are being charged the correct amount of tax. While CO2 emissions are generally lower with smaller engines, this is not always the case, as you have discovered here - there is so much more to it than that. Lastly the smoke test done in the NCT is nothing to do with the car's CO2 rating, if it did cars with much larger diesel engines would never be sold! This shows the importance of doing the research before buying the car and just assuming it's a 'mistake' on the part of the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

And I reckon the Volkswagen Group cars may have their place on the emissions-based-taxation table, er, "reviewed", so don't put too much stock in that, OP :o

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭MFlack2012

145 g/km is correct and therefore you are being charged the correct amount of tax. While CO2 emissions are generally lower with smaller engines, this is not always the case, as you have discovered here - there is so much more to it than that. Lastly the smoke test done in the NCT is nothing to do with the car's CO2 rating, if it did cars with much larger diesel engines would never be sold! This shows the importance of doing the research before buying the car and just assuming it's a 'mistake' on the part of the garage.

Thanks for the advice. I have no problem with paying it if it's correct and have already done so for this year the day I bought it, but my cousin is doing his nut about it being so high. My dad has been looking around the internet and is seeing the same as mine with tax of €190 for the year. It has Hyundai warranty for another few years yet and garage warranty, so we were just querying to make sure something wasn't wrong.

And I reckon the Volkswagen Group cars may have their place on the emissions-based-taxation table, er, "reviewed", so don't put too much stock in that, OP :o

Oh god yeah, we're well aware of this :D:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

MFlack2012 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I have no problem with paying it if it's correct and have already done so for this year the day I bought it, but my cousin is doing his nut about it being so high. My dad has been looking around the internet and is seeing the same as mine with tax of €190 for the year. It has Hyundai warranty for another few years yet and garage warranty, so we were just querying to make sure something wasn't wrong.

Why is your cousin doing his nut? It's your car!

Anyway, if there are some coming in at 190 and yours is 390 I would bet my last dollar it's because yours is an automatic transmission, look at the price lists of new cars where they also list motor tax rates, auto is more often than not in a higher band than the manual

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Oh god yeah, we're well aware of this :D:rolleyes:

Heh.. The sad truth is, that once everyone eventually has a 08- car under their arse, the tax is going to either be just as much as the old system, or more.
    Because the govt sure as hell aren't going to "lose" money...
    They're already doing it. The parents bought one in 08. It was originally 150 or something around that. It's now €280.
    Expect taxation on electric vehicles, too. Under the possibly daja vu-ey reason 'well they're using the road, wear and tear and all that.....'

• Registered Users Posts: 51,118 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Epic thread title fail. There was me thinking this thread was about someone having to pay 1k or more per year in motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,183 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

For future car purchses the CO2 emissions are disclosed in the Vehicle Licencing Certificate (logbook) which shows the ownership of the car, the rates of each are available on www.motortax.ie as to how much the motor tax will be each year.

You can enter the vehicle's registration into the motor tax website here and will tell you how much the tax is on it:

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/menu.do?page=motortaxinforeg

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    You can enter the vehicle's registration into the motor tax website here and will tell you how much the tax is on it:

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/menu.do?page=motortaxinforeg

It was an import so it wasn't registered until a few days after I purchased it so this wasn't applicable. The log book also only comes to you after purchase and you pay the tax.

bmwguy wrote: »
    Why is your cousin doing his nut? It's your car!

Anyway, if there are some coming in at 190 and yours is 390 I would bet my last dollar it's because yours is an automatic transmission, look at the price lists of new cars where they also list motor tax rates, auto is more often than not in a higher band than the manual

He hates anyone being ripped off and is the great 'big brother' type (only when it comes to cars) :D

Why is there a difference between manual/automatic (may be a blond/girl question) but wouldn't it still be the same engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Manual has more gears, auto box loses some efficiency through the torque converter and uses more diesel.
    €390 is hardly high either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

So €390 is a high enough tax rate to get upset about these days is it?

How things change. It's not so long ago people were paying €650 odd for the same class of car.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I wish I had your problem OP, I have a near worthless 1.9 '01 car, and pay €190 every 3 months. I have paid this every three months for the last 4 years.

I know that you are not really giving out though, just clarifying. The flipside of course is that my car was bought outright for €1,800 4 years ago, and has been relatively trouble free over the years. That tax does sting however.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,183 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It was an import so it wasn't registered until a few days after I purchased it so this wasn't applicable. The log book also only comes to you after purchase and you pay the tax.

Did you do any kind of history check whatsoever on the car before you bought it using the UK reg? Surely that was the time to be worrying about being ripped off by buying a clocked or wrote off car and also seeing the full emissions data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Did you do any kind of history check whatsoever on the car before you bought it using the UK reg? Surely that was the time to be worrying about being ripped off by buying a clocked or wrote off car and also seeing the full emissions data.

Most people most likely just assume that 08 or newer + diesel = cheap tax but not how cheap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

He hates anyone being ripped off and is the great 'big brother' type (only when it comes to cars) :D

Why is there a difference between manual/automatic (may be a blond/girl question) but wouldn't it still be the same engine?

CO2 emissions which motortax rate is based on, reflects the amount of CO2 gas emitted to our environment.

F.e. your car emits 145g (grams - unit of weight) of CO2 per every 1 km driven.

Even though manual and automatic car have the same engines, manual is more fuel efficient, and therefore burns less fuel per every 1km driven, and so emits less CO2 per every km.

The irony is that the difference in motor tax rate is ridiculously less significant compared to the upfront cost of buying the car and the annual depreciation is suffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

delly wrote: »
    I wish I had your problem OP, I have a near worthless 1.9 '01 car, and pay €190 every 3 months. I have paid this every three months for the last 4 years.

I know that you are not really giving out though, just clarifying. The flipside of course is that my car was bought outright for €1,800 4 years ago, and has been relatively trouble free over the years. That tax does sting however.

I don't get what the problem is about the higher tax rate, if you tax your car every 6 months it would be cheaper. A rough guess is that the modern equivalent of your car would save you €400/year in tax not even €10/week. Shouldn't you be more shocked at the cost of fuel that it uses seeing that it's a much higher cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I don't get what the problem is about the higher tax rate, if you tax your car every 6 months it would be cheaper. A rough guess is that the modern equivalent of your car would save you €400/year in tax not even €10/week. Shouldn't you be more shocked at the cost of fuel that it uses seeing that it's a much higher cost?

You get very little discount for doing every 6 months really need to go with the yearly to make it worthwhile, and on an older car it is basically a gamble is it worth the discount when you might be scrapping it in a few months it something big goes as wouldn't be worth it to fix.

My own is 2.0 so 200 per quarter, 394 for 6 months saving 6 quid or 710 for year saving 90 quid. So it either a year or 3 months, 6 makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

if you're concerned about saving 100 euro per year why would you buy a new car.

The whole system is arseways anyway. The automatic vs manual thing isn't down to losses in the gearbox and torque converter, in the test they change up gears in the manual when the gear indicator shows, which is just over idle for every single gear. In the real world nobody drives like that, they probably shift even later than the automatic box does. But that's just not how it works in their silly made up testing system.

People who live up a hill, or who accelerate hard, and brake constantly are obviously emitting much more than 145 grams of co2 per KM. Or people who do 40k miles per year in their 2 litre diesel paying a couple of hundred euro tax when someone doing 5k miles per year in a barge is paying 1809. It's just bollox, they will keep changing it to get more money, once all the pre 08 cars run out and everyone is driving nearly tax free electric cars there will be a 2 or 3 euro per kilowatt charge on vehicles per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Could be worse OP.. my car costs me €420 every 3 months in tax.

Hope that helps! :p

I have men in my life to do that for me ;):D |I just look at the car and if I like it (the look of it) pass it over to Boyfriend, dad and cousin to do those checks. Wouldn't have a notion :D

CiniO wrote: »
    CO2 emissions which motortax rate is based on, reflects the amount of CO2 gas emitted to our environment.

F.e. your car emits 145g (grams - unit of weight) of CO2 per every 1 km driven.

Even though manual and automatic car have the same engines, manual is more fuel efficient, and therefore burns less fuel per every 1km driven, and so emits less CO2 per every km.

This particular car has an eco drive with stop/start function so it's supposed to be near enough the same as manual for burning less fuel etc.

Sam Kade wrote: »

The car tax for six months is exactly the same as what it is yearly, maybe saving €10 per six months and as I work part-time, I wouldn't have the money every six months. I do a regular savings for 12 months, pay for the tax yearly and then repeat each year, so I don't feel it. It actually doesn't cost any different than my 1.3 petrol did (I understand it probably is working out more as diesel is cheaper) but I still put in €50 and it will last 2-3 weeks, just as it did before. And because it's constantly on eco drive and has stop/start function, it works out better, I get almost three weeks, compared to the two with a 1.3 petrol

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

:eek: Ah holy hell, the luas would suffice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This particular car has an eco drive with stop/start function so it's supposed to be near enough the same as manual for burning less fuel etc.

it's still a relatively old fashioned torque converter gearbox.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

According to whom?

p.s. It isn't and you have to pay increased road tax because of that. Whomever was supposed to check these things out didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Yeah im paying 300 every 3 months.I'd love to be paying 390 a year on tax but then again I like my big engined diesel auto!!!!

Advertisement