Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Year Wedding Anniversary Gift??

Options
  • 14-07-2016 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Our first anniversary is coming up in a week. What is the normal 1st anniversary gift?? The reason I ask is, I thought it was paper. I was going to write a letter to my wife, create a photo album containing images from our first year of marriage, cook a nice meal and bring her to a few of the places we went on our first date 12 years ago - McDonald's, Savoy cinema, Stephen's Green park.

I was told in passing yesterday by a friend about an eternity ring? This has completely caught me off guard as I didn't know. Is an eternity ring the standard gift for the 1st anniversary??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

OSI wrote: »
    Paper is the traditional gift for a 1st wedding anniversary, and what you've suggested above sounds perfect. It's not far off what my wife and I did ourselves for our own. I don't know where the idea of an eternity ring came from, I've always seen them as being for much further down the line, like 25th or 40th.

I was absolutely crapping myself when I was told that last night. With a week to go, I definitely wouldn't have been able to afford one (and would hate to just get one on a whim at the last minute).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

My understanding about the eternity ring is it's given on the birth of the first child. What you have planned sounds really gorgeous and sweet, OP. Don't change a thing.

Phew!! Cheers for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Yeah OP, I've never heard of an eternity ring for a 1st anniversary.... that would be a lot of expensive jewelry in a relatively short period of time.

IMO eternity rings are really open to interpretation, I've heard of them given around the birth of a first child, birth of last child, significant anniversary, depending on when these things happen in the context of a relationship. But never as a year 1 gift.

Does anyone know where you can get a paper flower bouquet in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

Only was told about an eternity ring this week, we're not even married yet and shes thinking about it :-)
    But she then said its when the first baby is born. Dont stress, sounds good what you've got in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

shuffles03 wrote: »

You could try making them yourself? Get some good quality coloured paper and away you go. I made a bouquet that way for my GF when we were totally broke. It takes AAAAAAAAAAAAGES but it looked great.

Otherwise try online, maybe on the likes of Etsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

You could try making them yourself? Get some good quality coloured paper and away you go. I made a bouquet that way for my GF when we were totally broke. It takes AAAAAAAAAAAAGES but it looked great.

Otherwise try online, maybe on the likes of Etsy.

That's a really nice idea, I want a hand made bouquet or an excuse to make one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Eternity ring, if you're in to that kind of thing, is for 1st baby or 1st anniversary, whichever comes first.
    Probably mostly honeymoon babies back in the day so there wouldn't be much difference between the occasions.

Addle wrote: »
    Eternity ring, if you're in to that kind of thing, is for 1st baby or 1st anniversary, whichever comes first.
    Probably mostly honeymoon babies back in the day so there wouldn't be much difference between the occasions.

Anniversary is coming first (this Monday). This is what I have instead to coincide with the paper tradition?;

Morning
    1. Letter in a bottle
    I stained the paper with a teabag to give it an old feel.

2. Apple seeds + small pot + fertilised soil
    When my wife's grandparents were young, they planted seeds from the core of an apple. Needless to say, these seeds sprouted into a tree and that tree is still growing today. Thought we could plant apple seeds in a small pot and IF they grow, it could be something for our family in the future.

3. Origami Card
    To follow the paper tradition.

4. Bouquet of Flowers
    Looking like www.bloommagic.com or possibly a local florist in Greystones. Problem is though, if I get them on Sunday, they'll die?? We live in a one bed apt so couldn't bring them in (she'd see them).

5. Breakfast
    I'm preparing a breakfast for when she wakes up.

Evening
    1. St. Stephen's Green
    On one of our first dates ten years ago when we were in college, we carved our names into a tree in Stephen's Green (corny as hell I know). I'm going to bring her there in the evening with a small picnic. The bridal party gave us a bottle of wine signed by all of them to open on our first anniversary so I thought this could be a good place. I'll have two glasses, chocolates and an ice cooler sleeve.

2. First Date
    The plan now is to recreate our first date ten years ago. We'll start with McDonald's then walk to the Savoy to catch a movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

All of this is adorable and really personal. Personal and unique beats jewellery for me any day of the week. I'm sure she'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Very romantic! She's a lucky girl!

So, how do I keep flowers in my car over the weekend without killing them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Paper for the first. What you have planned sounds perfect.

The concept of the diamond eternity ring was created in the 1960s by diamond merchant De Beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

So, how do I keep flowers in my car over the weekend without killing them...

I don't think you can. Can you get them delivered on the Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Keep flowers cold to keep them fresh, any chance she wouldn't notice them in the fridge? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Holy Majoley... I'd start planning the second anniversary now!

pwurple wrote: »
    Holy Majoley... I'd start planning the second anniversary now!

Yay or nay for this plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yay or nay for this plan?

Hey, you know your own wife. :)

If my husband did that stuff, I'd be thinking he was bodysnatched!

pwurple wrote: »
    Hey, you know your own wife. :)

If my husband did that stuff, I'd be thinking he was bodysnatched!

Planned this well in advance. Personally, it's a lot better than a stereotypical date ie restaurant/night in a hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Think it's fab op, a fantastic plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

OP that is the sweetest plan.

Just to add I have heard of and known people to give an eternity ring for a first anniversary but I definitely don't think it's an expectation, especially so soon after a wedding!

She will love your amazing thought into the whole thing.

Advertisement