Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lidl car light blubs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭mikeecho

cena wrote: »

They're grand as a bog standard bulb.

Personally, i prefer whiter bulbs.

But to have those lidl ones as cheap spares in the boot is no harm.
    I'd much prefer if people used lidl bulbs, than not replace them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My mechanic advised a long time ago not to go near them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Why?

Cheap as chips and good spares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I put cheapo headlight bulbs in my car a few years ago. I think I got them in Dealz or somewhere. One of them blew after 2 days, and I was on my way down the country at night 2 weeks later when the beam went funny. I pulled over and had a look, and the other bulb had melted and drooped down. It was still working though. It had melted so much I thought it was going to break when I was taking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Never has a problem with their H7s or H2s, and it's a very handy kit to have in the boot. I'd buy it for the container alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

pablo128 wrote: »
    I put cheapo headlight bulbs in my car a few years ago. I think I got them in Dealz or somewhere. One of them blew after 2 days, and I was on my way down the country at night 2 weeks later when the beam went funny. I pulled over and had a look, and the other bulb had melted and drooped down. It was still working though. It had melted so much I thought it was going to break when I was taking it out.

There's a big difference between Dealz products and Lidl. Watched a show on Poundland, Dealz owner, and they had to purchase the item in China for US 20c to sell for £1. Lidl and Aldi sell items which are TüV tested, which puts CE and BSI to shame, Dealz sells cheap items that are made as cheap as possible with no standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Nearly worth it for the case alone. I bought one a few years ago and still use it even though half of it been replaced with ring bulbs from the local MF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My mechanic advised a long time ago not to go near them

I'm sorry but how would a mechanic have a clue about what Bulbs are in a car? It's not like they're stamped 'Lidl'

I've a set of H7's in my car for at least the last 3 years that I bought in Lidl and my headlights are on constantly as they're wired to the ignition so they're every it as good as Branded bulbs which cost twice or three times as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I used both their H4 and H7's and never a bother with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Depends on the car. If changing a bulb takes ten seconds, then why not?
    If changing a bulb takes ten years, then I'd go for longer lasting bulbs in halfords.

Renault Modus springs to mind.
    0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Crap bulbs are better than no bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

didnt renault have the same issues with the fat ass megane ?? half the front need to come off to change a bulb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Notch000 wrote: »
    didnt renault have the same issues with the fat ass megane ?? half the front need to come off to change a bulb

One for the motoring myth thread. Takes less than 2 minutes in through the wheel arch liner.

Notch000 wrote: »

No it was possible through a hole in the wheel arch, and much swearing and bleeding, to change an indicator bulb in little over five to ten minutes.
    Head bulbs were achievable from the engine bay with equal swearing and bleeding.
    Dipped bulbs were a mix of either from above, or from the wheel arch, both with equal amounts of swearing and bleeding.

If anything went wrong or got bent however, then there was no choice but to remove everything.
    I'd honestly love to know the suicide rates of mechanics in France, it must be shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

That's still completely unacceptable these days. I could forgive a design flaw in the days of paper based design, but not when 3D CAD came along.

Volvo (and others) can build a headlight unit that is held in place by a single pin, the unit can be removed, taken inside the car, change the bulb and replace on the side of the road in under 5 minutes. That should be a legal requirement actually, along with foolproof instructions so that no one has an excuse to drive with one light.

That's still completely unacceptable these days. I could forgive a design flaw in the days of paper based design, but not when 3D CAD came along.

Volvo (and others) can build a headlight unit that is held in place by a single pin, the unit can be removed, taken inside the car, change the bulb and replace on the side of the road in under 5 minutes. That should be a legal requirement actually, along with foolproof instructions so that no one has an excuse to drive with one light.

In fairness Renault mercifully got their act together and with the current megane it's just two 10 bolts and two pins. The whole unit slides out and yer golden. Even my shovel hands have room to manoeuvre. Laguna followed suit, with a section of the battery box simply pulling up in your hand, allowing access.

The Modus always amused me though. In France its illegal to the point that you get done if you don't have spare bulbs in your car to change the moment a main bulb goes.
    I can imagine some shopper effing and blinding outside a market trying to change one before the police nab him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'd honestly love to know the suicide rates of mechanics in France, it must be shocking.

A chap spoofed his way into a job as a mechanic in a garage I worked in years ago. He knew a little bit, but was out of his depth. We gave him a Renault clutch to do after a few weeks. He took a full day to do it and never came back!:pac:

Advertisement