Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.4 Octavia misfiring (2006)

Options
  • 13-07-2016 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Bought it a few weeks ago. Ran perfect until last Sunday when it started misfiring. Put a new coil pack on one of the cylinders and it sorted it perfect. Drove like new for 24 hours. Now its back misfiring. Put a new plug in that cylinder tonight but no joy.

Any ideas why it would work fine then misfire again? Might not be that coil pack again, didn't check yet. There is what looks like oil under the injector at the back of that cylinder. Hard to see where exactly it is. I have a video if you want it uploaded.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Probably another coil pack. Could even be the one you just replaced. Was it an OEM pack you put in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

No, a Bosch one. I'll check which one is misfiring today. Hopefully its just the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

gutteruu wrote: »
    No, a Bosch one. I'll check which one is misfiring today. Hopefully its just the new one.

It's unlikely to be the new coil unless mabye the plug has slipped back; Bosch don't generally do crap. But coils can (albeit rarely) go within days or weeks of each other. It might be another one deciding on early retirement, too.

Yep. Ye were spot on. Another coil pack. All sorted now. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In theory all things being equal the other 2 will likely go soon too, easy enough fix though.

• Advertisement

In theory all things being equal the other 2 will likely go soon too, easy enough fix though.

Thanks for advice. The one that went was the first one I pulled out last time. A mechanic told me he reckons its when people pull them out without the special tool that they get damaged, hence they go in batches. Not sure but for 30 quid each its not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

gutteruu wrote: »
    Thanks for advice. The one that went was the first one I pulled out last time. A mechanic told me he reckons its when people pull them out without the special tool that they get damaged, hence they go in batches. Not sure but for 30 quid each its not too bad.

The special tool required is patience :D
    A screwdriver, or better, a snipe nose pliers, will see coils removed for routine plug changes with leverage and patience.
    They can be well stuck it there, so slow and steady wins it. Some lads go mad and crack them, but they are known for simply burning out.
    Renaults do it the whole time too, and with Opels it's even worse...
    Auto-Ignition-Coil-For-Opel-Astra-F-G-III-IV-Combo-Corsa-II-Meriva-Vectra-B.jpg

One massive block for all four. One section fails and you've to throw out the whole lot... Not as often that they do burn out but it always annoyed me whenever I had to throw one into the bin..

Advertisement