Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Number plate stolen - what to do

Options
  • 13-07-2016 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi guys I parked at clonsilla train station this morning and when I returned in evening saw both number plates stolen.

Called guards they said they will send someone but as I had to rush I have them my house address to which they said they wil be there in 10 mins .

Called them after 1 hour wait and they said they wil report on phone instead. I did but is that ok? Should I be getting a proper report number from them

Also what are other consequences of stolen number plate

Guards were acting casual saying it's all ok - get new one for 10 eur in halfords

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭mikeecho

gogreen81 wrote: »
    Hi guys I parked at clonsilla train station this morning and when I returned in evening saw both number plates stolen.

Called guards they said they will send someone but as I had to rush I have them my house address to which they said they wil be there in 10 mins .

Called them after 1 hour wait and they said they wil report on phone instead. I did but is that ok? Should I be getting a proper report number from them

Also what are other consequences of stolen number plate

Guards were acting casual saying it's all ok - get new one for 10 eur in halfords

Once you have it reported, ask for the pulse number for your report.

Keep that number handy, just in case someone racks up some speeding fines, parking tickets or m50 tolls.
    Other than doing that, and getting replacement plates, there isn't much more you can do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Get new plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gogreen81

mikeecho wrote: »
    Once you have it reported, ask for the pulse number for your report.

Keep that number handy, just in case someone racks up some speeding fines, parking tickets or m50 tolls.
    Other than doing that, and getting replacement plates, there isn't much more you can do.

Thanks I will ask them again for the pulse number

Get new plates.

Where ? And the quickest ? I will only have half hour tomorrow before I plan to take my car tom evening on m50
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

get new one for 10 eur in halfords
    Where ? And the quickest ?
    You answered your own question :)

Bring the logbook as proof you own the car, they will/might ask.
    That said, a local motor factors in your town might do them cheaper/quicker but since you din't give a location I can't recommend anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Any motor factors will make number plates up on the spot.

Don't be surprised if you get a call from the guards over the next few days, your plates could well be used for drive away from fuel stations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Get new plates, put them on your mates car, drive through the M50 toll as many times as possible for the craic.. :D

(kidding)

Once you have reported them stolen, and you have a garda report, you can't be held responsible for anything that happens them after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Theres a potential scam here.

Takes plates off car, tell mr. Plod someone stole them

Put back on later. Now I'm not responsible for speeding fines?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Theres a potential scam here.

Takes plates off car, tell mr. Plod someone stole them

Put back on later. Now I'm not responsible for speeding fines?
    yeah possibly. If they have a photo of you in the drivers seat, it's going be a hard sell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Where ? And the quickest ? I will only have half hour tomorrow before I plan to take my car tom evening on m50
    Thanks

Put the new plates on after you use the M50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

There should be a system, allowing car owner to change registration number in such case, to make sure he/she is in the clear, no matter what plate thief does with stolen plates.
    That's how it works in many other countries anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

CiniO wrote: »
    There should be a system, allowing car owner to change registration number in such case, to make sure he/she is in the clear, no matter what plate thief does with stolen plates.

That would be too sensible :D Just buy new plates and forget about it, OP. Driver should be clearly visible in M50 / speeding photos unless it's obviously night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

keep an eye on dungdeal for you car & colour to make sure someones isnt going to get done on a stolen clone of yours

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

CiniO wrote: »

probably not worth the effort - there only about 2.5 million vehicles on the road here, the instances of number plate theft and cloning nationwide would be minuscule. lets say a few hundred cars per year? you are talking about .0 whatever of a percentage of the national fleet affected - its not a business case for allowing/developing/changing systems to accommodate such a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Similar thing happened to me a few years ago.

Plates robbed off the car, then they came back a few days later, broke the drivers window and robbed the insurance disc!
    (Father had Garage insurance at the time and i was on it too)

All reported to the Gardai.
    Was pulled over once or twice a few weeks after that.

Had to explain to the Gardai each time and that was the end of it.

Odd one alright.

Thanks guys bought new plates from auto parts but they didn't fix it . They left it for me to drill 4 holes each in front n back n number plates supported by frame
    Still struggling as don't have steel drill
    Will have to go to some autos hop

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mercedes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Golf by any chance? I park at Clonsilla regularly and noticed a golf without plates.....over the following days I noticed a number of gen 5 Golf's in the area without plates (all the same colour(ish) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Thanks guys bought new plates from auto parts but they didn't fix it . They left it for me to drill 4 holes each in front n back n number plates supported by frame
    Still struggling as don't have steel drill
    Will have to go to some autos hop

Double sided tape

ejabrod wrote: »
    Golf by any chance? I park at Clonsilla regularly and noticed a golf without plates.....over the following days I noticed a number of gen 5 Golf's in the area without plates (all the same colour(ish) )
    nopes Toyota is the next favourite

• Advertisement
Advertisement