Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A5 2.0tdi s-line quattro

Options
  • 13-07-2016 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭

Just would like opinions on this car.
    Fancy an A5 with a while and petrol was what i was looking for but after reading some reviews it seems the petrol ones are best avoided.
    Also quattro seems to be advised usually.
    I don't do big miles so should i forget about a diesel?

This is the one that caught my eye.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/12820838
    audi a5 2.0 tdi quattro s line 170bhp coupe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Not price on an ad is irritating, pass. There are 100's of these on auto trader noting unique about them.

I would personally go with the petrol if you are not doing the miles, will put a bigger smile on your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭blade1

tossy wrote: »
    Not price on an ad is irritating, pass. There are 100's of these on auto trader noting unique about them.

I would personally go with the petrol if you are not doing the miles, will put a bigger smile on your face.

€15000 is what he is asking. That's including vrt, nct timing belt and full service.

As for petrol, reports of high oil cosumption, leading to engine damage on not just the 2.0 but also on some 1.8s.

I have been checking auto trader and there is not as many quattros with high spec as you'd think.

Some of them can use oil you'd be looking at a litre every 4 or 5000 miles i'd say. Like everything get one with a good service history and it will probably prove less or at worst as problematic as a diesel :)

It's pretty much the same engine as the Mk5 GTI so you are on a good base already, do your home work on both.

Some of them can use oil you'd be looking at a litre every 4 or 5000 miles i'd say. Like everything get one with a good service history and it will probably prove less or at worst as problematic as a diesel :)

It's pretty much the same engine as the Mk5 GTI so you are on a good base already, do your home work on both.

Its the homework that's scaring me away from the petrols tossy:pac:

This is my current car(old pic) and is a nicely specced 2003 1.8t sport.
    It wouldn't be the end of the world if i didn't change as I think it's a nice car and always gets complimented even by passerbys

After 5 and a half years i just wouldn't mind a change.
    Also a couple things need sorting on it.
    I seem to be lacking some power down low under 2500 revs also i have a little play somewhere thats feels like its at the wheels but I'm thinking it could be the steering rack.
    It gives one clunk on full lock when reversing onn a hill.

It's got 138000 miles done so I suppose a clutch and flywheel replacement won't be a million miles away.

31AA8783-D77F-40AE-A4FF-6C265A8C91D8_zps2ihgwpkf.jpg

If you google 1.8T B6 A4 you will read horror stories of oil consumpiton and oil sludge blocking the oil pick up pipe. Yet you are proof that if you look after at car and change the oil regularly then these things aren't an issue.

The 2.0T is the natural successor of the 1.8T i think you'd regret moving to the TDI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

If you google 1.8T B6 A4 you will read horror stories of oil consumpiton and oil sludge blocking the oil pick up pipe. Yet you are proof that if you look after at car and change the oil regularly then these things aren't an issue.

The 2.0T is the natural successor of the 1.8T i think you'd regret moving to the TDI.

Had a B6 1.8T Quattro for 7+ yrs. Fabulous car. I changed the oil every 7K. Spot on Tossy.

Actually the oil pump went in my one.
    Bastard of a job but got to clean out the gauze in the sump while at it.

I never had a diesel and would pick a petrol any day normally.
    I think there is a recall of some sorts on the 08-11 2.0 petrols over the oil issue.

Advertisement