Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unpaid m50 toll, never recieved letters.

Options
  • 13-07-2016 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I received a solicitors letter from Pierse & Fitzgibbon Solicitors , saying I had an outstanding toll fee which had went from €6.20 (for two ways) up to €150; I rang them to ask how it had snowballed so much and this was the first I had heard of it. When I rang today the girl on the phone then told me I had another days use unpaid for so the actual amount I owe is €240. I have recently moved house local to while I did change and update tax books and everything else some post didn't get to me. I told this to the operator and asked when it's a fine that so quickly escalates should they not have registered post? Or some way of being SURE people get the letters. The two days in question are days I used the m50 I was on it every Saturday for ten weeks, and paid every time I just genuinely forgot this time. I basically told her I can't afford in anyway to cough up a fine of 240; it's not like a small amount to any person I'm sure. And she informed me I did have option of paying in instalments, but that would mean paying the price of the next level fine coming to me in two weeks which is a total of €440. So it's pay it upfront or pay twice as much neither an option I can afford. I told her I would be looking into it and she has froze my fine for a week. I'm thinking of going to a solicitor tomorrow evening. Has anyone else had experiences like this or any advice. I'm not even arguing paying the tolls everywhere or any of that but this kind of fine is extortionate.
    Hope someone can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I received a solicitors letter from Pierse & Fitzgibbon Solicitors , saying I had an outstanding toll fee which had went from €6.20 (for two ways) up to €150; I rang them to ask how it had snowballed so much and this was the first I had heard of it. When I rang today the girl on the phone then told me I had another days use unpaid for so the actual amount I owe is €240. I have recently moved house local to while I did change and update tax books and everything else some post didn't get to me. I told this to the operator and asked when it's a fine that so quickly escalates should they not have registered post? Or some way of being SURE people get the letters. The two days in question are days I used the m50 I was on it every Saturday for ten weeks, and paid every time I just genuinely forgot this time. I basically told her I can't afford in anyway to cough up a fine of 240; it's not like a small amount to any person I'm sure. And she informed me I did have option of paying in instalments, but that would mean paying the price of the next level fine coming to me in two weeks which is a total of €440. So it's pay it upfront or pay twice as much neither an option I can afford. I told her I would be looking into it and she has froze my fine for a week. I'm thinking of going to a solicitor tomorrow evening. Has anyone else had experiences like this or any advice. I'm not even arguing paying the tolls everywhere or any of that but this kind of fine is extortionate.
    Hope someone can help.

Not being a high horse merchant here but you lost the post / post didn't get to you due to your house move.

They can't let you off the fine, even if they want to.

The rules is the rule and if they bend it will be bent by everyone I'm afraid.

Sorry but I'd suggest engaging with them to start paying off the fine in installments, they will freeze the fine amount from the time you agree to pay.

They are actually very reasonable to deal with.

Good luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

This happened to me. Exactly the same. I kept arguing and eventually they reduced it to an agreed €60. This was a good few years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Have you tried ringing eFlow directly. They tend to be very reasonable if you are not taking the p1ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

RustyNut wrote: »
    Have you tried ringing eFlow directly. They tend to be very reasonable if you are not taking the p1ss.

While e-Flow are usually pretty good to deal with, once it's gone to the solicitor then there's nothing e-Flow can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Craigevans1985

but the eflow website says if you miss the payment deadline"...please hold on until you receive your letter before making payment." .
    You could argue that you were following the advice given to you by eFlow and that you were waiting for the letter which didn't arrive as instructed by the eFlow website?
    If you did go to court, you could argue that you didn't get the letter and without the letter the website advises that you cannot pay for any journey made or owed.
    "You will need the Journey Reference Number listed on the penalty letter in order to make the payment". That's pretty clear on the website, if you don't have this reference number how could you pay the fine?
    Then if you do decide to go to court your transaction history of payment made each week against the car registration does show as proof of your good faith and previous history of always paying your toll, and as per the website you were waiting on the letter and that had you received the letter you would have paid this one also. Can you show a time when you travelled, didn't pay, and didn't get a fine? That would show that the system doesn't always send letters even when they are owed, so you were waiting for the letter as proof of the journey, and the letter didn't come. It depends on the timeline of you changing address and going through the toll etc.
    Really though, you have to be prepared to pay the full amount if you go through this, and you'll need a solicitor to give you definitive advice...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Hope someone can help.

Go on to efow and pay your 6.20 as normal.

Keep the receipt.

If efow pursue the matter tell them you have paid the toll in full and have a receipt.

If they take you to court produce the receipt.

No reasonable judge will find against you if you can prove you have paid the toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Allyglear24

but the eflow website says if you miss the payment deadline"...please hold on unetil you receive your letter before making payment." .
    You could argue that you were following the advice given to you by eFlow and that you were waiting for the letter which didn't arrive as instructed by the eFlow website?
    If you did go to court, you could argue that you didn't get the letter and without the letter the website advises that you cannot pay for any journey made or owed.
    "You will need the Journey Reference Number listed on the penalty letter in order to make the payment". That's pretty clear on the website, if you don't have this reference number how could you pay the fine?
    Then if you do decide to go to court your transaction history of payment made each week against the car registration does show as proof of your good faith and previous history of always paying your toll, and as per the website you were waiting on the letter and that had you received the letter you would have paid this one also. Can you show a time when you travelled, didn't pay, and didn't get a fine? That would show that the system doesn't always send letters even when they are owed, so you were waiting for the letter as proof of the journey, and the letter didn't come. It depends on the timeline of you changing address and going through the toll etc.
    Really though, you have to be prepared to pay the full amount if you go through this, and you'll need a solicitor to give you definitive advice...

Thanks for that defo a few good points. I'm talking with solicitor and finding out as much as poss. Will post how I get on
    Thanks x

Advertisement