Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect Monitor to PC Radeon 480

Options
  • 13-07-2016 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi
    I just got a new graphics card Radeon 480 to run my Oculus rift. The problem is that I cannot connect my monitor to the card. My monitor is VGA and there is no VGA port on the card. My rift is connected to the one HDMI slot. Is it possible to connect my monitor to the regular VGA slot on my PC and not to the graphics card. How would I let the computer to know what to look for? I do not need good graphics on the monitor. Just on the rift.

I know I can prob get a VGA to DP converter but I would like to get it up and running tonight!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You can, have you tried it? If it doesn't pick up straight away, you'll have ot delve into the BIOS and turn on a setting to use the two graphic adapters at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Galwegian09

You can, have you tried it? If it doesn't pick up straight away, you'll have ot delve into the BIOS and turn on a setting to use the two graphic adapters at the same time.

Thanks. It does not pick up the monitor on its own. Do I need to put back in my old graphics card and connect the monitor and then make the settings changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If you're not connected to the 480 at all does it detect it? If not, just plug out the 480

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Are you actually in Galway? I can give you a VGA-DVI adaptor if you're stuck, I'm in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Are you actually in Galway? I can give you a VGA-DVI adaptor if you're stuck, I'm in the city.

Current 480 models don't have a DVI socket. And even if they did, it would be digital-only

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes, we figured that out, I hadn't realised that. I think it's a mistake, the GTX line all carry DVI ports. Sorted him out with a Display port to HDMI adaptor for a second TV screen so he can at least hopefully get the rift up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Galwegian09

Yes, we figured that out, I hadn't realised that. I think it's a mistake, the GTX line all carry DVI ports. Sorted him out with a Display port to HDMI adaptor for a second TV screen so he can at least hopefully get the rift up and running.

Do you think this DisplayPort to VGA adaptor from Maplin.ie would do the job. Code A29QH
    Could not post the link!

Advertisement