Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to disclose I may be on Rent Allowance?

Options
  • 13-07-2016 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi. I just found out that landlords are not allowed to discriminate against people with rent allowance. Does this mean I do not have to tell my potential landlord that I will be applying for RA ? Can I move into the property and tell him after sometime that I will b applying for this scheme? Is he allowed to qustion the potential tenants if they will be getting RA?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

Unfortunately, while a LL cannot openly discriminate, there is nothing stopping them asking for a reference from an employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭endacl

While not allowed to discriminate, they are still entitled to choose the tenant they prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Maggie007 wrote: »
    Hi. I just found out that landlords are not allowed to discriminate against people with rent allowance. Does this mean I do not have to tell my potential landlord that I will be applying for RA ? Can I move into the property and tell him after sometime that I will b applying for this scheme? Is he allowed to qustion the potential tenants if they will be getting RA?
    Thanks.

I tell your going to be a delight to a very lucky landlord. So what you want to do is lie and your asking is that ok ?! No its not. Its a bad way to start out a business relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Thanks.

As long as you have your deposit/references available, saying that I wouldn't mention RA, as I think they would still discriminate. Adopt a Don't ask don't tell policy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You will have to be paying rent for 6 months before you can even apply for rent supplement and you won't get it if your employed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Does the LL need to sign forms for tenant to recieve rent allowance? And if so, is the LL legally compelled to do so? What happens if the LL refuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

DaraDali wrote: »
    As long as you have your deposit/references available, saying that I wouldn't mention RA, as I think they would still discriminate. Adopt a Don't ask don't tell policy

Apart from the work reference etc. that nearly all landlords require..at some stage you will need the landlords help in order to get rent allowance, you will need them to sign the form provide their pps number and other landlord info. Always good to be open and honest from the start...so that they're on your side when you need them to sign off on your RA application.

As others have said while they can't discriminate they can definitely choose the best tenant available who can pay rent in advance, has sufficient income and security to consistently pay on time, that is not discrimination just common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The landlord will want to know your job, basic income etc
    he would have a good idea you will need ra in order to pay the rent .
    And he has to sign forms in order for you to get ra .
    IF you are dealing honestly with the landlord you should say i intend to
    apply for rent allowance .
    I think landlords can simply refuse to take on an ra tenant .
    Without being accused of discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Landlord can kick you out in the first 6 months pretty much without question. If you lie now , your going to have to be very careful to keep the facade up for 6 months, also when the landlord gets the forms to sign, don't be surprised if they won't sign them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I tell your going to be a delight to a very lucky landlord. So what you want to do is lie and your asking is that ok ?! No its not. Its a bad way to start out a business relationship.

The OP could be a perfectly good RA tenant who is afraid of being tarred with the same brush as bad RA tenants by a landlord before even meeting them. I certainly don't encourage lying to a LL but I wouldn't mention RA right away (over the phone/email), rather I'd wait until I can meet the LL face to face and let them get a measure of me before I mention RA. That gives me a sliver of a chance of being accepted, a sliver is better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Maggie007

Well that's not fair of you to say. We all know how difficult it is to rent right now.

rawn wrote: »
    The OP could be a perfectly good RA tenant who is afraid of being tarred with the same brush as bad RA tenants by a landlord before even meeting them. I certainly don't encourage lying to a LL but I wouldn't mention RA right away (over the phone/email), rather I'd wait until I can meet the LL face to face and let them get a measure of me before I mention RA. That gives me a sliver of a chance of being accepted, a sliver is better than nothing.

Yes I agree with you. I have excellent landlord references from my two previous properties and in fact I do believe I would be a delight for my future landlord.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Desperate times make the mind foggy sometimes and it's good to get other peoples opinions.. I will go for honesty is the best policy and will mention my intention of applying for RA at the viewing stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

DaraDali wrote: »

I don't think this is good advice be open from the start meet with them, view the place and if you have a deposit and references offer them up and when you feel comfortable ask about the RA, the problem I think with RA is that there is a limit on that whereas a LL can rent somewhere out for alot more money with someone who is not on RA. It sounds tough but when you are a LL you have alot of costs involved in being a LL and renting a property and you have to factor all of that into what you want as rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Thanks for the advice everyone. Desperate times make the mind foggy sometimes and it's good to get other peoples opinions.. I will go for honesty is the best policy and will mention my intention of applying for RA at the viewing stage.

wouldn't do that at all. I would tell them that at point of signing the tenancy - where it will be very clear that if they step back they are discriminating.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

wouldn't do that at all. I would tell them that at point of signing the tenancy - where it will be very clear that if they step back they are discriminating.

I'm not sure how that would work.
    Under the Equal Status Acts 2000-2015, it is generally unlawful in Ireland to discriminate when providing goods, services, facilities, accommodation or education on the basis of a person’s gender, civil status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, race, or membership of the Traveller community and in certain cases where a person is in receipt of a rent supplement.

As the OP is not in receipt of rent supplement (allowance) I'm not entirely convinced unlawful discrimination under the Equal Status Acts would have occurred.

Graham wrote: »
    I'm not sure how that would work.

As the OP is not in receipt of rent supplement (allowance) I'm not entirely convinced unlawful discrimination under the Equal Status Acts would have occurred.

I see where you're getting at. OP, simply say nothing.You are not obliged to tell any future landlord of anything that might or might not happen in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I see where you're getting at. OP, simply say nothing.You are not obliged to tell any future landlord of anything that might or might not happen in the future.

And if the rent is above the rate for which RA can be granted for that area?

if the rent is above rate OP would be denied RA - but I do presume that OP will be smart enough to look up the ceilings for RA entitlement before going for a place.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The landlord will have to fill in forms for you to qualify for RA. This can be very slow to get set up so landlord could be left without rent for month or two (usually will backdate it). this may go against you unless you have enough to cover a few months/deposit etc. It's not clear from your post to me if you are on RA or envision being on it? Is the rent at your threshold for your area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement