Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and their clothes (tagging/selling/reselling)

Options
  • 13-07-2016 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

So I've recently joined Instagram and now have Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook & IG. With all that, I'd like to think I have my bases covered.

So why, oh why, oh why, don't bloggers tag across all platforms? I just saw some Converse style shoes a blogger was wearing with an outfit that was posted to IG. I thought "hey, I rarely click those short links but I'll see where this takes me" and lo and behold, no link! But an advertisement for a click link service that emails you outfit details when you tap, and an invitation to find the link on her Facebook.

I'm a pretty busy person. I normally browse social media over a cup of coffee and genuinely CBA to follow up going to Facebook. This really annoyed me today though.

I think if you're going to post the same thing on one or more platforms and add links, the links should be in both/all posts. Surely it's alienating people who don't have "all" the social media accounts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭onthemitch

Affiliate linking = that's why things aren't tagged across all platforms. Essentially, if I have affiliate marketing enabled, I can't do clickable links on Snapchat or Instagram. So I'll tell you to check my Facebook or Twitter, where you'll find a shoppable link, that brings you directly to the item.

Then, if you buy something via that link, I'll get a cut! And if you buy ANYTHING from the site in the next 30 days (with most of them), I'll get a percentage as a referral fee.

So, if affiliate linking / marketing is one of your revenue streams, I can totally see why you'd do it. I agree that it's annoying, but maybe they're finding it's worth it because they were missing out on sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

onthemitch wrote:
    Affiliate linking = that's why things aren't tagged across all platforms. Essentially, if I have affiliate marketing enabled, I can't do clickable links on Snapchat or Instagram. So I'll tell you to check my Facebook or Twitter, where you'll find a shoppable link, that brings you directly to the item.

onthemitch wrote:
    Then, if you buy something via that link, I'll get a cut! And if you buy ANYTHING from the site in the next 30 days (with most of them), I'll get a percentage as a referral fee.

onthemitch wrote:
    So, if affiliate linking / marketing is one of your revenue streams, I can totally see why you'd do it. I agree that it's annoying, but maybe they're finding it's worth it because they were missing out on sales?

Woo thanks for that. I completely couldn't think of the term "affiliate linking" when typing the post (this post wasn't about you at all BTW).

I understand not linking/saying things on snapchat... But can't really understand why not on Instagram. Does Instagram not allow links to be posted with a post? (very new to it) Surely three attempts to sell something on three platforms (FB, IG,maybe twitter) is better? Maybe I'm missing something.

Would it be possible to earn money by having people just clicking (and not buying)?

I think I just got out of the wrong side of bed this morning.

I didn't want those stupid trainers anyway ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭onthemitch

Woo thanks for that. I completely couldn't think of the term "affiliate linking" when typing the post (this post wasn't about you at all BTW).

I understand not linking/saying things on snapchat... But can't really understand why not on Instagram. Does Instagram not allow links to be posted with a post? (very new to it) Surely three attempts to sell something on three platforms (FB, IG,maybe twitter) is better? Maybe I'm missing something.

Would it be possible to earn money by having people just clicking (and not buying)?

Okay, so you can't directly link on Instagram – you can only link to another Instagram account, not to an ecommerce site. So that's why affiliate links are tricky on Instagram, and they do those "double tap to get an email to your inbox" lark.

As for earning money for *just* clicking, that's kind of how Google ads work – so, say, if I have an ad on my blog for Asos, and you click through, I might get €0.01. But when it comes to affiliate linking, I'm 99% sure you only get money if the person actually buys from the site. But in most cases, they don't have to buy the exact item!

onthemitch wrote: »
    Okay, so you can't directly link on Instagram – you can only link to another Instagram account, not to an ecommerce site. So that's why affiliate links are tricky on Instagram, and they do those "double tap to get an email to your inbox" lark.

As for earning money for *just* clicking, that's kind of how Google ads work – so, say, if I have an ad on my blog for Asos, and you click through, I might get €0.01. But when it comes to affiliate linking, I'm 99% sure you only get money if the person actually buys from the site. But in most cases, they don't have to buy the exact item!

I'm much much wiser now, thanks for that!! :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

I'm im such shock! I just saw a snapchatter sell her freddy jeans (the sample ones that we all saw them receive a few months back, as in they all got nearly eight pairs each if not more) on her depop for €50 a pair or more! I'm sure there's no law against it but it just doesn't seem right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

Yeah seen that this morning! She has the original price up at 70 euro and selling them for 50 euro. Wonder does the tax man get a cut! 😂 Also yesterday another blogger was selling off all her free make up she has been sent!

Depop and bloggers never sits right with me. Is it the lack of clarity that makes everything seem dodgy? Some are definitely more clear than others. But selling "samples" at a fair whack doesn't sit right with me at all.

Advertisement