Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New owner tax query

Options
  • 13-07-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭

hi guys, i am looking at a car the tax of which expired on 31/12/14, it has not been sorned, am i responsible for the back tax, or can i tax it from the day of purchase, many thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Decent Skin

flutered wrote: »
    hi guys, i am looking at a car the tax of which expired on 31/12/14, it has not been sorned, am i responsible for the back tax, or can i tax it from the day of purchase, many thanks in advance

New owner = tax from day correction: first day of the month of purchase.

Anything prior to that is down to the old owner, but I believe that they won't be chased for the back-tax either; open to correction on that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Seriously?

p.s. You are liable from the first day of the month of purchase.

Seriously?

p.s. You are liable from the first day of the month of purchase.

Yup - edited above.

Liable from day of purchase, but road tax = monthly minimum payment so buying on the 31st of a month means that the "month or part thereof" makes that month due.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yup - edited above.

Liable from day of purchase, but road tax = monthly minimum payment so buying on the 31st of a month means that the "month or part thereof" makes that month due.

Reason for "seriously" wasn't your post Decent Skin btw.

This same question gets asked in thread upon thread on this forum. It's a bit annoying tbh.

This same question gets asked in thread upon thread on this forum. It's a bit annoying tbh.

Ah yeah - didn't take it that way; was just acknowledging the more-accurate-than-mine "P.S."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

then why not stickie it, this would solve both the asking and annoying threads

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's already listed in the Motors FAQ sticky at the top of the page:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057145924 > Buying a car with no tax.

thanks guys, ps the link is dead for me anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Edited my post with the correct link.

thanks, i have it bookmarked as it seems to have some solid advice in its many links

• Advertisement
Advertisement