Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house re wire worth running speaker wire ?

Options
  • 13-07-2016 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Bit of a lurker in these parts, but i am looking for some advice.
    I just bought a house and it needs to be rewired.
    has wireless tech come on enough not to bother with copper speaker wire being run to put in some ceiling speakers or a decent 5.1,
    or will i regret it if i dont

Thinking of also putting in some cat 6 at the same time.

Looking for some advice

Regards
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭MHI

Hi Guys,
    Bit of a lurker in these parts, but i am looking for some advice.
    I just bought a house and it needs to be rewired.
    has wireless tech come on enough not to bother with copper speaker wire being run to put in some ceiling speakers or a decent 5.1,
    or will i regret it if i dont

Thinking of also putting in some cat 6 at the same time.

Looking for some advice

Regards
    D

Danielle

You will definitely want to futureproof your home for Smart Home Technology like Audio & Video, its cheap to put the cables in now, it won't be when the house is finished and plastered up.

These are the standard wiring.
    TV Points = 2 Coax + 2 Cat5e (or Cat6)
    Network Points = 1 Cat5e (or Cat6)
    In-Ceiling Speakers = 12 AWG CL2 Grade Speaker Cable to each speaker
    In-wall Keypads (if you decide to go with a system like that) = 1 Cat5e (or Cat6)

All Cables would be run back to a central closet where all your equipment would be housed in a central AV Rack. Also good Practice to run the speaker cables past the in-wall keypad location so you are open to different systems.

With that wiring in place you are covering for Multi-Room Audio & HD Video in each room.

SNIPPED BY MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

MHI wrote: »
    Network Points = 1 Cat5e (or Cat6).........

You should try run 2 cables to each network point

gctest50 wrote: »
    You should try run 2 cables to each network point

or maybe 4 :D

Joking aside OP could run 2 but only 1 is required, and they will probably use WiFi anyway.

Don't know many people these days that use patch cables to hard wire into network points, unless the WiFi is really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

thanks guys,
    i am not sure i will go the home automation route at all,

ceiling speakers in kitchen, bathroom, and sitting room ,
    i will have a NAS in the house also.

' 12 AWG CL2 Grade ' is this a specific type for fire hazards ?

Can ceiling speakers be good enough in a sitting room for the rears of a surround setup ?

thanks guys,
    i am not sure i will go the home automation route at all,

ceiling speakers in kitchen, bathroom, and sitting room ,
    i will have a NAS in the house also.

' 12 AWG CL2 Grade ' is this a specific type for fire hazards ?

Can ceiling speakers be good enough in a sitting room for the rears of a surround setup ?

Your correct CL2 grade is used for inside walls, its slows down fire spreading if the worst did happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Dolby atmos kinda requires ceiling speakers, so yes 5.1 (back two) and 7.1 (back four) can be run for a home cinema. I've set up a couple of systems using then in the past also.

Advertisement