Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I pick Home Ec for LC?

Options
  • 13-07-2016 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I was worried I f'd up my subject choices for leaving. I picked Business and I kinda regret it now. I did it up to JC and I hated it so much. I wanted to do home ec instead but I've never did it before, in first year we had to do all subjects and I did woodwork instead. I'm doing ty so i thought i could use that as a year to catch up on all the stuff i missed from the 3 years i missed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

adamob544 wrote: »
    I was worried I f'd up my subject choices for leaving. I picked Business and I kinda regret it now. I did it up to JC and I hated it so much. I wanted to do home ec instead but I've never did it before, in first year we had to do all subjects and I did woodwork instead. I'm doing ty so i thought i could use that as a year to catch up on all the stuff i missed from the 3 years i missed.

I can't really speak for Home-Ec because I never did but as far as I know, most schools do the Journal in 5th year and it's quite tough going. I think you'd at least need a good grounding in cooking for it. But as I said, I'm not 100% certain. Talk to the Home-Ec teacher in your school about it and ask them what they think.

In terms of Business, what was it about Junior Cert business you hated? Leaving Cert Business is much nicer in my opinion. There is very very little accounting at all. It's just a handful of formulas and that's it. It's mainly made up of:
    - Stakeholders and People in Business
    - Consumer Law
    - Industrial Relations and the relevant laws
    - Enterprise
    - Management Skills: Leading, Motivating and Communicating.
    - Management Activities: Planning, Organising and Controlling
    - Human Resource Management and Changing Role of Management
    - Finance, Taxation and Insurance
    - Marketing
    - Community Development and Social Responsibility
    - Categories of Industry, the Economy and the Government
    - International Trade and the European Union.

It's all theory really. I'd advise giving it a go if I were you. Lots of people take it up in Leaving Cert without doing it for JC, and they do fine. Forget JC Business and head into it with a fresh perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Home Ec journal is all theoretical and no pictures, so you'd be grand in terms of cooking. You do cook in school, but if it comes out bad it doesn't matter.

I found Home Ec very easy, and with very little effort I got an A. However, you may feel different and it is kind of science based.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

I didn't do Home Ec for JC, and I found it quite tough. In 5th year the journal took up a lot of time, although my teacher helped us a lot. There really wasn't much cooking involved which I found disappointing. The course is very big, and there is a wide variety of topics, e.g. food science, consumer studies, social science. There is good choice on the exam, but they expect you to write a lot.

Advertisement