Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gearbox noise?

Options
  • 12-07-2016 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭

Is it possible for signs of bearing wear to be apparent only in higher gear (3-5) at speeds over 30m.p.h. rather than lower in the range?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Anything is possible until we know what car, year and transmission type this concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Yes, it is possible depending on what shaft the bearing is failing on in the transmission.

You have ruled out a wheel bearing?

As Biko said, make, model, year and mileage will lead to a more helpful and informed response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Almera (03) manual.80 mls.Not wheel bearing related.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

get it seen to immediately, I have seen these almeras where the bearing was noisey collapse within a short while and then ruin the gearbox housing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I should mention that the noise is not the typical gearbox (whining), more of a lower pitched howl.I can categorically rule out wheel bearing.Only apparent in third gear or higher - increases with engine speed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement