Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advise on trading in problem car.

Options
  • 12-07-2016 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

2010 Peugeot 3008 171km ,knocking from engine,warning oil low pressure came up,luckily I was very close to my local mechanic.He had a quick look and told me that chances are it may need an engine,that the oil isn't reaching the top of the engine and that some of these peugeots have history of engines needing to be replced.

Being honest I just want to get rid of it,how do approach a dealer looking to trade in a car that I can't drive and not 100% sure what the problem is?.
    How would some of you guys go about it?,thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You'll probably get more for it as scrap or as a breaker. Peugeot arn't exactly ranked high however or extremely desirable in that market. Do a quick check on DoneDeal or ring a local breaker. You certainly won't get the same offer from a Dealer on trade in.

Alternatively, keep the repair cost down, get it on the road and sell it privately. You'd need do to the math on it to make it worthwhile however.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭pkvader

ironclaw wrote: »
    Do a quick check on DoneDeal or ring a local breaker. You certainly won't get the same offer from a Dealer on trade in.

Really?,jesus that's depressing.

If I was to trade it in how should I approach the situation with a sales man,obviously i'll be taking a big hit,but I just want to get rid of it asap.Do I just be brutally honest with them,I still don't know the extent of the problem.But I'm taking the mechanics advice,I don't want to piss away hundreds of euros to still end up needing an engine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

ironclaw wrote: »
    You'll probably get more for it as scrap or as a breaker

For a 2010, 3008 ? Complete rubbish. Cars are often fitted with replacement engines and sold on and it's much more economical to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Ring a few dealers and describe the car honestly, they don't need it with them to price it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

pkvader wrote: »

If I was to trade it in how should I approach the situation with a sales man,obviously i'll be taking a big hit,but I just want to get rid of it asap.Do I just be brutally honest with them,I still don't know the extent of the problem.But I'm taking the mechanics advice,I don't want to piss away hundreds of euros to still end up needing an engine.

Talk to the mechanic and see what he advises about telling dealers and how to phrase it, and also get a second mechanical option / range of options from a different mechanic.

It might pay you better to fit a used low mileage engine and trade it in then or keep it.

• Advertisement

For a 2010, 3008 ? Complete rubbish. Cars are often fitted with replacement engines and sold on and it's much more economical to do so.

Thank god,I just want to trade it in and get as much as I can for it the way it is,I'm just not sure how to go about it.I've been advised not to drive it so I can't exactly drive it to a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

pkvader wrote: »
    Thank god,I just want to trade it in and get as much as I can for it the way it is,I'm just not sure how to go about it.I've been advised not to drive it so I can't exactly drive it to a dealer.

It's worth a lot more running, and realistically a lot more than the cost of the repair. If you want rid you'd be better off fixing it yourself and trading then as it would be cheaper for you.

It's worth a lot more running, and realistically a lot more than the cost of the repair. If you want rid you'd be better off fixing it yourself and trading then as it would be cheaper for you.

Yeah it makes sense,my head is melted ha,i'll talk to the mechanic tomorrow and take it from there,thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Missed the year! Apologises. Scratch the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A car with a fecked engine is going to worth about the same to a dealer as it is to yourself at present. Better off either getting a reconditioned engine and keeping the car longer term or else maybe fitting a cheaper second hand engine from a scrapped car and then trade it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

bazz26 wrote: »
    A car with a fecked engine is going to worth about the same to a dealer as it is to yourself at present. Better off either getting a reconditioned engine and keeping the car longer term or else maybe fitting a cheaper second hand engine from a scrapped car and then trade it in.

I Disagree. Move onwards and upwards

Advertisement