Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick greyhound racing

Options
  • 12-07-2016 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Can anyone recommend a good approachable trainer in limerick area , what would b d costs of ,purchasing a good middle class dog n d weekly training costs ? Any advise much appreciated, thanks lads

Comments

Can anyone recommend a good approachable trainer in limerick area , what would b d costs of ,purchasing a good middle class dog n d weekly training costs ? Any advise much appreciated, thanks lads

Your best bet is to go to Limerick a few times and take note of the trainers and approach one of them. Pat Buckley is one of the best. I'm sure Limerick track would give you his details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Limerick 73

Your best bet is to go to Limerick a few times and take note of the trainers and approach one of them. Pat Buckley is one of the best. I'm sure Limerick track would give you his details.

Thanks a million Mary , much appreciated will do that

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Denis o malley and John roche would be the leading trainers in Limerick,i'd say it would be around e60 a week before extras,con o connor in Abbeyfeale would be my recommendation, honest out.

Denis o malley and John roche would be the leading trainers in Limerick,i'd say it would be around e60 a week before extras,con o connor in Abbeyfeale would be my recommendation, honest out.

Thanks very much for that info Charlie much appreciated , any idea on the cost of a greyhound ready for racing , I know it can vary a lot with regards to breeding but just a ball park figure( hundreds or thousands ) Any info would be greatfully appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

I would only buy a pup under 12 months myself,if it is over 12 months the owner will have a good idea if he can run,if a pup is for sale at say 14 months I wouldn't be interested,as you say prices depend on breeding,you wouldn't get a whole lot for e1000 at 12 mts so id say e1500 onwards,the classifieds section in greyhound data is the best place to luck for pups,get plenty of advice on the breeding before you purchase and bring someone with you that knows there greyhounds when you look,also I'd only get a dog rather than a bitch.Best of luck,you will have a ball.

• Advertisement

I would only buy a pup under 12 months myself,if it is over 12 months the owner will have a good idea if he can run,if a pup is for sale at say 14 months I wouldn't be interested,as you say prices depend on breeding,you wouldn't get a whole lot for e1000 at 12 mts so id say e1500 onwards,the classifieds section in greyhound data is the best place to luck for pups,get plenty of advice on the breeding before you purchase and bring someone with you that knows there greyhounds when you look,also I'd only get a dog rather than a bitch.Best of luck,you will have a ball.

Thanks brilliant advise and info Charlie , it's very much appreciated , owe you a pint or two , thanks again

I would go even further and not buy a pup over 6 months. A shrewd observer would see from them running around what their possible potential is and their temperament.
    There is a guy on here offering shares in a syndicate. Might be worth getting in touch with him. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057601864
    You could also contact IGB for advice. http://www.igb.ie/ownership/
    There are plenty out there that would take advantage of your innocence!
    Don't be expecting to make (any) money out of Greyhound ownership! However, if you strike it lucky, you can have the greatest fun with them.
    And - once they've finished racing - they make the greatest pets! My 12 year old is curled up on a comfy rug on the floor in front of me as I type. (She cannot get on the couch any more, due to her great age and arthritis)

Thanks a million for the advise and info Marianne, esp about the age of the dog and the potential .
    We had figured that there's no $ in it , but are honestly just in it for a bit of fun and the thrill of having a dog racing .
    Couldn't agree with you more about the pet option , have a few dogs already ( not greyhounds mind ) n there's always room for more
    Thanks again for all the help it really is appreciated

You might be interested in this.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/knowledge.php?b=1&note=1169131&z=Mwl03n

Based on the feedback (thank you to all members who participated) in our last attempt to set up a GD Racing Club we have now decided to start small and create an Irish based Syndicate (hopefully the first of many across the world). This will be for all our members around the world to join in and have a bit of fun and enjoy the excitement of racing! Let the banter begin.....
    This will be a normal Syndicate format.

Buy in will be €500.

Aim is to buy 1 dog/bitch at the upcoming sales in Shelbourne Park.

Monthly cost will be an all-in €300 ( per dog) split equally amongst members (significant vet fees and International travel extra - otherwise no extra costs). So if we get 10 members it will be €30 a month each per dog.

Trainer: Martin Lanney

Owner: Greyhound-Data 1 Syndicate

If you are interested please email racingclub@greyhound-data.com

Advertisement