Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop overheating in Windows 7

Options
  • 12-07-2016 4:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭

Have a laptop that recently has been shutting off. It's a Medion P6620, with a nVidia GT220m in it.

In XP, not a bother. Umpteen minutes later, still no issue.
    In W7, the GPU starts at around 50 degrees, rises to over 100%, and the laptop turns off.

Have taken off the heatsink, and put fresh thermal faste on it; mo luck.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There must be a hardware/cooling issue here. But I wonder if the driver for XP is perhaps better/more efficient which allows it to not hammer the GPU as much. That being said it really shouldn't have to hit the GPU for just running the desktop.

Does the fan run? Are there different driver versions available for 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Forgot to mention that this is a recent enough issue, maybe only happening in the last month (which makes it all the more odd).

Yesterday it was cool enough, only in the high teens/low twenties in the evening when I had the laptop on. I didn't update any drivers recently, but there's a chance that they were done automatically. It has worked okay in the past when it was in the high 20's (29-31 degrees Celcius) outside, no idea how warm it was inside, which confuses me further.

Hot air is blown out of the back of the laptop, but the fins of the fan look a bit on the small side, so shall maybe look into replacing it, although it being fine in XP makes me wonder why W7 is increasing the GPU temp for just idling on the desktop. Before it conks out, I do not hear the fan going on full-force/jet engine loudness, which I find very odd, as in any other laptop I've had, it does so before it falls over.

Shall try wiping the drivers off it completely, and putting on an older version of the driver, to see if that helps. Thanks for your suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Check the power profile settings in Power Options, under Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Power Options. Make sure it is not set to High Performance. Try Recommended Settings, Power saver or Balanced options and see if there is any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Windows 7 has aero which could be waking the GPU into active mode when it shouldnt be. Test it by using the "basic view" customization.

Drivers that were installed were from 2014. Drivers were not updated since, so not sure why the cause of the crashing in the past month.

Uninstalled the drivers. Whilst uninstalled, laptop seemed okay. MSI Afterburner GPU temp kept going from 0 to 100, but I'm guessing as the program couldn't detect it correctly?
    Must get a thermometer to note the temp of the room that I'm in.

Put in the latest nVidia drivers on, and temps stayed around the 70 Celsius mark, with only MSI Afterburner running. Ran Malwarebytes in Safe Mode on the off chance that something was running in the background, but it came back clean.
    ED E wrote: »
    Windows 7 has aero which could be waking the GPU into active mode when it shouldnt be. Test it by using the "basic view" customization.
    Shall try the "basic view".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I mean turning off Aero might help a tad, but to be honest there has to be some hardware issue here. No laptop should crash under these circumstances. It could be a failing fan, or some other issue, but messing with drivers and aero settings will only slightly improve things in the best case.

Outside temp is about 29 degrees Celsius over here in Toronto. Have a fan blowing from the window to this general location, but not sure what the temp would be in here now. Temp of the GPU is a steady'ish 68 degrees, but up to 73 as I'm now using Chrome to type this. CPU temp is around the 73 degree mark.

Laptop is a Medion P6620 with a Core2 Duo T6500 @ 2.10GHz. CPU is at 57%, and 3.19GB to 3.20GB is getting used. Ran Malwarebytes in Safemode and found nothing, so any ideas what could be using the resources, and generating the heat in W7 would be appreciated. Shall probably have to do a wipe of the windows, but without knowing the reason, dunno if it'll fix the heat issue.

Anyone wants to rename "HardwareMonitoring.hml.pdf" to "HardwareMonitoring.hml" and have a look. Taken with MSI Afterburner, so maybe need it to open it? But anyhoos, the first three hit the max of the GPU temp. The 1st was trying to run COD:MW2, the 2nd and 3rd was trying to run AOE2:HD, and after a bit played the Mark of the Ninja.

The MotN ran in the past (for an hour or so), so I'm guessing the fan is on the way out. Bah. So now to look for a cheap'ish MCF-W13BM05-1.

Advertisement