Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volkswagen transporter engines?

Options
  • 11-07-2016 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hope I can get some feedback or advice from the more well informed than me...

I am looking at buying a new van and have narrowed it down to a vw transporter or a Mercedes vito.

I went to have a look at A NEW the transporter today and the salesman gave me a price for a (euro 5 engine). I thought the T6 transporter was a new van with a new engine.
    I heard one of the transporters in the recent past had trouble with a manufacturing fault in the engine.
    Does anyone know any more about this as I'm not really up to speed in this topic....

Or on another note does anyone have a preference between the transporter or the vito ???

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

My VW dealer asked me to run some leasing figures for a customer of his on a new EU6 Transporter, yesterday.

If I'm comparing the right version of the van then the price is going from €33,975 for a Transporter 2.0Tdi 140BHP Trendline DSG LWB 3000kg to €35,400 for the EU6 version that becomes 150BHP.

As far as I'm aware, the Transporter is a new van but was launched with the EU5 engines. There must be an upcoming deadline on commercial vehicles for the change to EU6 as all manufacturers are changing at the moment, and it's really hard to get pricing - waiting about 6 weeks at this stage for Opel to come back with EU6 pricing on Vivaro vans.

I'd say VW have stock of EU5 vans which they'd want to get rid of before they can no longer sell them as new vans, so you should be able to push for a really good deal if they have the right one in stock. I'm not really that up on Vans, but I don't think the Transporter has AdBlue for EU5 but will probably have it for EU6 so if you can avoid that, avoid it - tank will need filling roughly every 10,000km at a cost of circa €50, so while it won't break the bank, it's additional cost you can do without.

Have you considered other vans than the VW or Merc? Pricewise, they are both quite a bit more expensive than the Ford/Opel/Renault of the same size, and generally don't have anywhere near the same level of equipment. You'll see some of the additional cost back when you come to sell it, but nowhere near as much as they cost to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 barcon11

Hi ror
    Thanks for your reply.

As far as I'm aware the compulsory start date to supply commercials with the new euro 6 engine is September 1 St.
    I'm not sure if euro 5's can be sold after this date or what happens.
    From what I read some people think that there could be more teething issues with the adblue on the euro 6 engines so the 5 might be a better option (not for the enviroment tho)

I did go to see other vans (every van out there I'd say) but in the end I kind of picked on reputation as I don't know to much about the in and outs/workings of vans.
    I have a caddy at the moment and it's all been good to me so I'm swaying towards the transporter.

Advertisement